Hooking up RS232 to a ATTINY84

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Hi guys, Anyone have any documentation on hooking up a Microcontoller in general to a RS232 cable from the computer, it dose not have to be just for teh ATTiny84, but I'm stuck on a stage on what I need to look for on a chip and where to put the wires like TX and RX. I got the datasheet of the ATTiny84 and it tells me all of them are inputs and I'm just not sure on how to take the next step and if I do know where to plug in a wire I just would like to know why there and what to look for on other units if I wish to explorer other options or other Microcontollers.

Does anyone know a good programming board for the ATtiny84 that does flashing and Debugging at the same time so I dont have to remove it from the breadboard? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
I got one I completely understand that part, now I'm stuck on where to write the wires coming from the Max3232 chip to what pin on the Attiny84 and why?
You could probably connect it to any pin, not ground or voltage, and modify your program.
Im not sure if the ATtiny84 has built in serial hardware, but if it does and you choose to use it, it has specific pins that are used. Give me a few minutes and I will find out.

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
You could probably connect it to any pin, not ground or voltage, and modify your program.
Im not sure if the ATtiny84 has built in serial hardware, but if it does and you choose to use it, it has specific pins that are used. Give me a few minutes and I will find out.
Right now I have the RX and TX hooked to up two random pins besides ground, Power and reset. and I'm using AVR Studio 4. I cant seem to get the Darn IDE to detect my ATtiny84 for the life of me on the correct COM port.

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
Uhhh, what are you trying to do? If you are trying to write your program to the chip with a serial cable and max232, afaik it wont work.

The pins for hardware serial are 7(SDA) and 9(SCL). Page 117 of the datasheet.

AgentSmithers

Joined Jan 14, 2011
Uhhh, what are you trying to do? If you are trying to write your program to the chip with a serial cable and max232, afaik it wont work.

The pins for hardware serial are 7(SDA) and 9(SCL). Page 117 of the datasheet.
Why would it not work if you dont mind me asking?
Just want to double check are you looking at this PDF? http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8006.pdf
I have the ATTIny84-20pu
Thankyou for your help so far.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd suggest staying away from DIY programmers on any uC platform. Too much frustration for just starting out.

Try the AVR MKII Programmer for Atmel devices or the PICKit 2 or PICKit 3 if you want to try out the Microchip PIC line. Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC are the two major players in the hobbyist uC area.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi guys, Anyone have any documentation on hooking up a Microcontoller in general to a RS232 cable from the computer, it dose not have to be just for teh ATTiny84, but I'm stuck on a stage on what I need to look for on a chip and where to put the wires like TX and RX. I got the datasheet of the ATTiny84 and it tells me all of them are inputs and I'm just not sure on how to take the next step and if I do know where to plug in a wire I just would like to know why there and what to look for on other units if I wish to explorer other options or other Microcontollers.

Does anyone know a good programming board for the ATtiny84 that does flashing and Debugging at the same time so I dont have to remove it from the breadboard? Thanks!!!
Is your goal of connecting the ATTINY84 to your PC aimed at programming the ATTINY84? If so then I would echo the recommendation by others that you purchase an AVRISPMKII programmer. Once you have the tools for programming the ATTINY84 then you will be able to tap into its power.

hgmjr