hooking phone speaker and mic to board

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Hi, I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to connect old phone components to a modern gsm shield. And hopefully not fry anything. These are the:

mic and speakers
bell
dial
hookswitch

First I want to start with the speakers and mic. Here is the old phone. The wires look like they are spade style connectors. white and green are for the speakers, red and black are for the mic.

Here is the gsm shield in question. It has only one obvious 'audio' barrel connector that looks like its designed for those audio jacks you find on earphones. Its two in one for both speakers and mic.

My question is how would you 'interface' the old phone connectors with the gsm shield? I don't want to zap my fancy components so I want to be careful.

Here is the schematic for the gsm shield. I can post the schematic for the old phone itself if anyone needs it.

Here is the wiki page for the gsm shield. It claims to take a 5V-12V power supply

http://wiki.epalsite.com/index.php?...ith_Micro_SD_card_slot#Purchasing_this_module

Oh and if you have any suggestions about connecting the other components I'd like to hear them too. I think maybe they can be simply attached to individual pins but I haven't worked all the details out.

Thanks

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Does anybody know how to get the audio wires to connect properly with this type of barrel jack? I found a picture of someone doing just this but it just shows the connection and not what he did to get it together.

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Probably soldered them. Buy the connector and see if it has solder lugs in it (likely).

I would prefer something that didn't damage the connectors of the old phone so I can reconnect if I wanted.

In any case I don't know what to buy. What would it be called? By the way if you look at the picture I posted of the gsm board the audio connector is for both speakers and mics so its an additional complication of having to put four wires into one connector. How would the signals not be crossed?

Last edited:

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Something like this is what I'm looking for but with connectors that I could easily plug the speaker and mic wires of the old phone without damaging anything at the female end. Is something like this available for sale?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Something like this is what I'm looking for but with connectors that I could easily plug the speaker and mic wires of the old phone without damaging anything at the female end. Is something like this available for sale?
Not likley, use a screw terminal strip for the spade lugs and come off the terminal strip to whatever connector you want to plug into the shield.

The example you posted cut the spade lugs off and soldered/crimped the wires into the connectors he used.