Honda Generator 6500is

wavewuver

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Bought this generator recently and looking to use it to provide standby power during power outages. Our last outage was going on nine days.

Anyway, my plan is to install a 30amp inlet box to the outside of my house and run wiring to my circuit board where I will backfeed the board using an interlock device.

My question relates to the generator itself. As I read the manual, I came across the following paragraph:

"120V/240V Position" "When the voltage selector switch is in the 120V/240V position, you must balance the load. Divide the load between the two sets of receptacles shown below. Balancing is necessary because each set of receptacles is powered by only one power producing circuit that can produce a maximum of 22.9 amps"

The way I read this, you have to use more than one outlet on the generator to balance the load. I had planned to use only one outlet, the one with 4 prong connector.

I'm confused. Anyone using this unit as a standby for their home?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
If you can imagine a transformer with a center tap on the secondary, the load on each half of the winding should carry fairly close to the same amount of current to be a balanced load. Apparently, the design of the generator requires this. I can only assume that the switch you refer to has two positions: one for 240 volt output and the other for 120/240 volt output. If you live in the US, your house is set up in a similar manner. 120 volts from either side of line to neutral or 240 volts between the two hot lines.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
manual your question is based on a statement on pg 37. see pg36:

I think they just mean that (in your case, using only plug #4) the load has to be balanced between terminal 4A and 4B of receptacle #4. But I'm not 100% sure.

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Anyway, my plan is to install a 30amp inlet box to the outside of my house and run wiring to my circuit board where I will backfeed the board using an interlock device.
Backfeeding your distribution panel with a generator is very dangerous and should not be done. In order to safely connect a generator to your house wiring, you need a transfer switch. And by your questions, it seems that you need an electrician to install the transfer switch.

I am not trying to come off as a smart..., but, having spent 14 years working for a portable generator manufacturer, I know what I am talking about. Please get some professional help.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'll second the get professional help.

The other big problem with a portable generator is theft. If you have one running after a hurricane or other disaster, you'll need it locked up well somehow. Sadly, it's as common as ice theft after a storm in some areas.

wavewuver

Joined Dec 2, 2011
Thanks all. I already have an electrician lined up to do all of the circuit board work. Yes, transfer switches are great but the interlock device is a method that meets code. The advantage is that you can access many more circuits as long as you don't exceed the gen capacity. The trick is to keep my home usage load as balanced as possible. The way my circuit board is configured will allow that.