homemade solenoid doesn't work

Mutad0r

Joined Apr 6, 2010

I got it 10 times in 3 layers.. I tried my most powerful power source, but it did nothing. no magnetic field whatsoever...

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
There's probably a field there but a very weak one. How much current are you driving it with?

How are you sensing the resulting magnetic field?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
With an air-cored coil of only 30 turns, you may need quite a lot of current to get a noticeable effect. It looks as if you have used quite thick wire with thick insulation; you might get better results using thinner enamelled wire, as you would be able to fit in many more turns into a given space.

Thinner wire would need to be supported on a former, that is to say a spool so that the windings will stay neatly in place.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I got it 10 times in 3 layers.. I tried my most powerful power source, but it did nothing. no magnetic field whatsoever...
If current is flowing, you have a field. Trust me, you have not violated the laws of physics. Try using a compass needle near the open end of the coil.

Your low gauge wire will short most sources - so you may not have as much current as you think. You could wire a bulb in series to limit current and also indicate that current is flowing.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Discharging 5000μF into such a low impedance could cause quite a bang. I'm not sure that would be completely safe - bear in mind that the OP may not be an adult.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The imductance of that inductor will be very low, around 150-300 uH, but with high current handling ability. Guessing on dimensions for that value.

Can't think right off of an application for it though.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm betting more like 5uH to 15uH, as there is no core.

Saturation would occur quite rapidly.

If you ever opened up a manufactured solenoid or relay, you would find LOTS of turns of very fine enameled magnet wire on the coil.