Homemade Pace car strobe lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

CircuitsMadeSimple

Joined Dec 29, 2011
Hello,
I've taken it upon myself to wire my own strobe lights in the fog lights of my firebird. I have done some research as to what I might need in this project. Right now I have on order:

-Resistors
-Transistors
-Capacitors
-Switch
-Wire
-Light sources
-And a Breadboard for tests 8^)

This initial post is to give a broad idea of what I'm attempting to do. Obviously my background on wiring is quite weak, even having gone through Advanced Physics. Basic questions will begin, and scale down into further specs of what I'd like to use, and what will work in theory.

I purchased a cheap set of HID lights, just as testing lights to mess around with (will use same specs for the set being installed). I would like them to flash in this pattern.. (Can post a link on actual demonstration if necessary) These numbers are estimates.
-(bulb 1): Flash 3 times in about 0.6s
-About 0.2s pause
-(bulb 2): Flash 2 times in about 0.6s
-Repeat.
The switch will be hidden away in the interior. I can route the wiring from the interior to engine bay, and keep the wiring insulated and hidden. I will need to know how I can make this possible. Then I will also need to balance the power (from power source, car battery) and ground everything necessary so nothing gets shorted out.

At this point, I'm simply looking for ideas, examples, and things that will not work, or bugs. I'm trying to draw a picture of what this will look like, but I have not opened it up to see the innards. Please ask me anything regarding the rough sketch, and I will do my best to answer with my limited knowledge.

I've roamed the site a bit, and I must say that I am overly impressed by the wealth of knowledge displayed here. I sure am ready to learn!

Thanks for reading!

~G

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello G, and welcome to AAC.

Unfortunately for your topic, you've run smack dab into the Terms of Service, a portion of which reads:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
Modifications to automotive lighting and penetrating the firewall were two large concerns before the "modifications" topics were disallowed altogether.

Another concern was legalities.

Another concern was the experience level of the hobbyists, and the people giving the advice as well. We're not automotive engineers, and have no way to validate designs by extensive testing in the field under controlled conditions.

There is no way that we could take the time to explain completely how to properly route wiring so that it won't get chafed and wear through, causing shorts.

There are just too many pitfalls for these types of conversations, and the site owners decided that such discussions would no longer be supported.

So, please feel free to look around, and if you have questions that are not related to the Paragraph 6 items I quoted, go ahead and start a new topic about it.

Last edited:

CircuitsMadeSimple

Joined Dec 29, 2011
I don't mean to defend my thread or attack the rules here, but what would the difference had been if I didn't even mention anything about my vehicle or what the light sources were? I understand where that part of the rule comes from, and I respect that. What do you suggest I do?

~G

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
...What would the difference had been if I didn't even mention anything about my vehicle or what the light sources were?
The difference would be that you would likely wind up with a circuit that would not even come close to what would really be needed for your application. Automotive environments are among the most brutal on the planet; shock, vibration, temperature, thermal shock, corrosive chemicals/fluids, solvents, electrical noise/spikes to 60+volts, and the list goes on. Unless a circuit addressed ALL of those concerns with sufficient safety margins, it would not even be ready for testing - much less actually fitting to a vehicle.

Since your application is automotive lighting, there could be significant safety consequences - but at this time there is really no point in my speculating what those might be.

I understand where that part of the rule comes from, and I respect that.
I'm glad that you understand and will respect the rules. :)

What do you suggest I do?
I really do suggest that you abandon the idea of completing this project.

It might sound nifty and neat-o, but it's really not worth the risk.
Sadly, Pontiac no longer exists, which means there won't be any more. I suggest you preserve your Firebird as closely as possible to how it was delivered from the showroom floor.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As SgtWookie already told you, the topic is out of discussion over here.

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:
Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Bertus