Homemade CD reader/writer

B01011101

Joined Aug 8, 2011
Hi guys, is it possible to create a CD reader/writer at home?
I think it maybe is possible but I want to ask first, just in case of hazards.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Possible? Of course. Practical? Not even close. Why would you want to build something so complex that you can buy for next to nothing?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Not unless you have plenty of ability in precision machining, expertise in lasers, control circuitry, etc. - it's really not worth doing something like that, because you can buy one for around $20 USD nowadays.

B01011101

Joined Aug 8, 2011
Possible? Of course. Practical? Not even close. Why would you want to build something so complex that you can buy for next to nothing?
Well, not supposed to be a practical project but I was thinking of making one for a science fair. By the way thanks!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, not supposed to be a practical project but I was thinking of making one for a science fair. By the way thanks!
So, would extremely low density data accomplish the goal? I mean, if you could just put a few bits on the disc, would that be acceptable? I could see having a chance if you could aim a laser to within, say, a half inch block on the disk as a single bit. It would still be a BIG project to achieve that mechanical accuracy, and make all the laser control circuits. Merely hard instead of nearly impossible.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys, is it possible to create a CD reader/writer at home?
I think it maybe is possible but I want to ask first, just in case of hazards.
If you mean ,that you want to make the CD drive mechanism ,then I am sorry you can't because that kind of work is not done by humans its rather done by machines.

But if you mean that you will buy the CD drive mechanism which are available very easily, and want to built the driver read/write circuits then its very much possible, and it has been done many times you can search google for it.

I did one mp3 player using my old PC CD drive,you just need to know how to work with microcontrollers. Its just about programming the correct protocols.

just in case of hazards.
Just don't look at the laser.

Good Luck

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, such a project would involve the use of IR lasers that exceed the limit of safety for items such as laser pointers, etc. As such, that would place the project in a "hazardous" category, which also puts the project beyond the scope of the forums.

You could put an eye out with that!

But seriously, you wouldn't be able to see the laser light with the naked eye, so you wouldn't know for sure whether you were being exposed to it.

Also, the project would have to be completely enclosed in an opaque material (like steel) so that the laser light couldn't escape. This limits the usefulness of the project from a science fair aspect as the viewers would not be able to see the "inner workings" of the device.

B01011101

Joined Aug 8, 2011
Well, such a project would involve the use of IR lasers that exceed the limit of safety for items such as laser pointers, etc. As such, that would place the project in a "hazardous" category, which also puts the project beyond the scope of the forums.

You could put an eye out with that!

But seriously, you wouldn't be able to see the laser light with the naked eye, so you wouldn't know for sure whether you were being exposed to it.

Also, the project would have to be completely enclosed in an opaque material (like steel) so that the laser light couldn't escape. This limits the usefulness of the project from a science fair aspect as the viewers would not be able to see the "inner workings" of the device.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Thanks for your information.