Holisitic Understanding of Home-made Dimming Switch Circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I got reminded of the terms of service last time I mentioned a wattless dropper.
But this is different. It's a line powered incandescent bulb not a LED. :rolleyes: (Yea I dont get the TOS rules break downs either but incandescent is not LED so its okay.) :confused:
No... Wait.. Discussing a triac dimmer shouldn't be okay either being it uses some resistors capacitors N' stuff running on a line powered AC circuit to work. o_O

I had no idea I could open up a light bulb and add a non-polarized capacitor in it. I'm going to try this. Thanks!
Okay... I'm taking back the no brains part and slowly walking away now. :eek:

It would go in series with either wire and you can hide it where ever it fits like inside the piping.

I'm guessing a 200+ volt AC rated 4 - 10 uf axial lead type capacitor should get your 60 watt bulb down into the brightness ranges you want.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We assist hobbyists and professionals alike on AAC. In this particular case we suggest you seek expert professional advice. Contravening electrical code is something we take seriously and do not discuss on AAC.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6.Restricted topics.The following topics are regularly raised, are considered “off-topic” at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
• Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS).

Sorry, this thread is now closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.