holidays ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I know that the religious holidays for the entire world all differ.
But for the Secular holidays is the only one celebrated by everyone the New Years eve day/New Years day?

How about the Secular holidays like mothers day , fathers day ?
( They are really important to a lot of US families including mine what about the other world for those days do they celebrate them or equivalent i.e does all civilizations for the most part celebrate some form of a mothers day / fathers day) I can see the only real universal one that I am pretty sure of is the new years one since that is based on natural occurrence in nature that applies for every one. Don't know if there is any other nature occurrences in nature that we deem as holiday's or special days since that would answer my question a list of all of these but then if you go to far you could classify anything in nature as a holiday (of course then again all people don't have to celebrate it so I guess I am just going in circles)

I understand obviously other secular holidays are more restricted to the nation or region of the world. Not so much the entire world.

Other last questions is
Easter always falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox (does this mean it will always be in march, may or April... going by my math it would)

And curious what holidays your families celebrate please post the ones that matter to your families.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Main ones for me, personally, are (starting at the new year) New Year's Eve/Day, sometimes Valentine's Day (depends on if there's someone special in my life or not ;) ), Easter, Memorial Day (often spent with family, I work the BBQ), Mother's Day, sometimes Father's Day, 4th of July (Independence Day, USA), sometimes Labor Day, Halloween (sometimes observed, sometimes not), Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Actually, not everyone celebrates New Years on the same day. The Chinese celebrate on the full moon after the 21st (?) of February.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
New Years Eve is an arbitrary date. The closest natural occurance would be the winter solstice on 21st or 22nd December (for the Northern Hemisphere). Mother's Day isn't global, it's in March over here for example.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
To LDC3
True but everybody celebrates new years on someday not like the religious holidays that are specific to a given group of people normally.
i.e it is universally available to celebrate for the whole world.

So I guess what I am getting at is the new years , fathers day , mothers day , and birthdays the only universal available to celebrate days for everyone.

I believe the mothers/fathers day celebrations are universal available holidays that all parts of the world celebrate on someday of the year or in some form.

I guess then these facts are true correct me if I am wrong or add something I forgotten
1) There is no universally available same day celebrations that the whole world celebrates
2) The closest and only current universally available same day celebrations are new years eve / day
3) The only current universally available not same day celebrations are new years eve / day , fathers day , mothers day , and peoples birthday

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
1 is almost certainly true. I bet there are exceptions to the others though, for example most Muslims won't celebrate birthdays.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok I can see where this is going to get into opinion and more believe so lets not get into that.

One thing I thought of is why doesn't Microsoft build into there calendar a holiday alert. i.e the could make it general as the time/timezone setting as you could beable to select your holidays or select a category of holidays ...
and the os will popup an alert
Kind of like when you set a meeting in micrsoft outlook client program to alert me 15 minutes before or 4 hours before as a reminder.

When looking at the popup calendar on the windows startup toolbar it doesn't seem to list the important days or have any setting to alert you of them.
Stands to reason there should at least be a feature that you can turn on and off for the calendar to do so. There are probably online or google calendars that can alert you of this but it seems that important dates/times setting should be built into the OS it self.
Wouldn't be to hard either and they could market it for a few extra dollars I guess.

I guess you can always set it in onenote but that is provided you have the application office software and it would be a more universal strategy to put the functionality into the OS it self.

Because more people with a computer have at least an OS then an application on an OS (i.e you have to have some form of OS by definition before you can have application software :) )

Last edited:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I'm not certain but I think that the Mormons don't celebrate birthdays other than acknowledging that a (young) person is a year older. I know they don't do anything that isn't done any other day.

They probably don't even celebrate New Years.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
true but they could because those occurrences are universally observable or occur in nature but this is just going to get into a debt.

I do think Microsoft calendar should have a holiday alert setting I mean they already have a timezone / daylight saving setting why not a holiday setting it seems logical and mostly helpful with little harm.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are no universal holidays, just like there is more than one type of calendar, and the western culture is not the majority of the worlds population, so it is incorrect to think that our chosen days are somehow special.