History of Dsub Connectors?

lavadisco

Joined Apr 17, 2013
Kind of a weird question, but... I was wondering if anyone knows the history of dsub connectors? I have read that they were invented by ITT Cannon in 1952, but I can't seem to find any more information than that. Are current dsub connectors defined by an IEEE standard? Or does ITT Cannon still own the IP and all other manufacturers license it from them?

lavadisco

Joined Apr 17, 2013
Thanks, I'd already read that, but hadn't noticed the line about the two standards that define dsubs. I take that to mean that no one holds the IP for dsub connectors. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Thanks, I'd already read that, but hadn't noticed the line about the two standards that define dsubs. I take that to mean that no one holds the IP for dsub connectors. Can anyone confirm if that's true?
Its defined in a standard..
Why are you asking anyways?.. I can't think of any good reason for asking the question unless you intend to manufacturer your own line.. and I'd highly doubt thats your reason..
Do you work for a large connector manufacturer?

lavadisco

Joined Apr 17, 2013
Its defined in a standard..
Why are you asking anyways?.. I can't think of any good reason for asking the question unless you intend to manufacturer your own line.. and I'd highly doubt thats your reason..
Do you work for a large connector manufacturer?
No, I don't work for a connector manufacturer. But the other day I did come up with a possible novel new version of a dsub connector, and that got me thinking about what it would take to make it, and who owns the IP. I have no business experience or time so it's unlikely I'll ever do anything with it, but you never know. Regardless, I guess I'm trying to follow the logic from "ITT Cannon invented it" to "It's in a standard". Presumably it was ITT Cannon IP in the beginning. How did it transition from being their IP to being an IP-free standard? Did they just give it away? Did the patents expire or become invalid? Does the fact that there is a standard really imply that it's IP-free now?