History Lessons

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Man! These were some fine books!

I must have read a dozen of them. Picts, Vikings, Math, Football... the list never ended. You always had to have MOAR!

The videos are kinda funny, but I don't see much connection with the books, maybe except the first one.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I think that they simply used the name to help them along, but the way they present the history is quite similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDAZREZ6SE&feature=relmfu

that one is hilarious.

I remember that those books were brilliant - I had nearly every in the History series, and every in the geography too. Although they were often funny, some had very heavy moments that really made me think.

The best books I've ever read, for sure.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Found this old thread and am surprised no one corrected the spelling. although the pronunciation is 'Doomsday' it is spelt Domesday! (especially from an Englishman)!:)
@Sparky49 Here's something on the Doomsday book:
On the subject of history, I guess because of my British background, I have had an interest in the de-colonization of Africa. And the mess that ensued.

One in particular was Ian Smiths Rhodesia which was once regarded as the pearl of Africa.
Talk about how to convert a Breadbasket into a Basket case!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3644217/Ian-Smith-has-sadly-been-proved-right.html
I have just stared reading his book, The Great Betrayal.

Another colourful character at that time was the British born mercenary Mad Mike Hoare.
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As a history buff, I have always had a particular interest in the 'back story', the minor event that triggered everything, but has been overshadowed by the main event, and usually forgotten.
Just as a forest of firs during a hot summer is just waiting for that flipped cigarette end.

One recent one is the Arab Spring, initiated by a market trader in Tunisia getting slapped in the face by a market inspector after confiscating his scale and later setting him self on fire in protest.
Social media took it and the fire started, hopped over Libya to Egypt and back to Libya.

How/why the British acquired India, initiated by the price of pepper going up overnight!.

The assassination carried out by Gavrilo Princip in 1914.

Just a few.
Max.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
As a history buff, I have always had a particular interest in the 'back story', the minor event that triggered everything, but has been overshadowed by the main event, and usually forgotten.
Just as a forest of firs during a hot summer is just waiting for that flipped cigarette end.

One recent one is the Arab Spring, initiated by a market trader in Tunisia getting slapped in the face by a market inspector after confiscating his scale and later setting him self on fire in protest.
Social media took it and the fire started, hopped over Libya to Egypt and back to Libya.

How/why the British acquired India, initiated by the price of pepper going up overnight!.

The assassination carried out by Gavrilo Princip in 1914.

Just a few.
Max.

I like to go deeper that that. I like to think about seemingly minor actions you might do that have a profound effect on someone's life or even history. Sort of the butterfly effect.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Found this old thread and am surprised no one corrected the spelling. although the pronunciation is 'Doomsday' it is spelt Domesday! (especially from an Englishman)!:)

On the subject of history, I guess because of my British background, I have had an interest in the de-colonization of Africa. And the mess that ensued.

One in particular was Ian Smiths Rhodesia which was once regarded as the pearl of Africa.
Talk about how to convert a Breadbasket into a Basket case!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3644217/Ian-Smith-has-sadly-been-proved-right.html
I have just stared reading his book, The Great Betrayal.

Another colourful character at that time was the British born mercenary Mad Mike Hoare.
Max.
And I just found this thread today. I love History too, but I'm far from being an expert. Just read The Coldest Winter, by David Halberstam. Highly commendable.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A little historic trivia, the origin of the name Bluetooth.
Inventor Jim Kardach named it after the king of Norway & Denmark.
Harold Bluetooth.
Little did he know!
Max.

upload_2019-3-26_12-43-4.png