high voltage transmission tower body's resistance

CON_ENG

Joined Jul 2, 2008
in my graduation project i had a simulation part i do it on MATLAB .part from it concerned with studying the effect of lightning strokes on this tower.the older approches considered the tower footing resistance and the soil one .in my approch i trying to enter the body tower resistance too .i searched for the standard value of the body tower resistance for 500KV,220KV and 132KV tower but i found nothing can somebody help me this is a part of my simulation project i need it to complete work .
Regards

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the tower made of steel? If so, look up rho of steel, and estimate the cross-section area of the steel members. btw-it is the distributed inductance of the structure that is relevant during a lightening strike; not just the Ohmic resistance.

I can tell you an anecdote. My brother ran a two-way radio business. One day he was on a steel radio tower about 15m above the ground, when lightning struck the tower. He was not injured, because the voltage drop between his head and his feet along the tower during the estimated 1500A lightening stroke was not sufficient to do him harm.

CON_ENG

Joined Jul 2, 2008
I know that resistance depends on the number of steel members ,cross sectional area and lenght, but since the tower had a standard form it must had a standard resistance and inductance according to it's holding current i.e if we say 500kv tower it's different than 132kv one .
Must be mentioned that the radio one had adifferent behaviour under lightning stroke than the high voltage transmission tower