high voltage regulator for high power devices

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ajrenzetti, Feb 16, 2011.

  1. ajrenzetti

    Thread Starter Member

    Dec 20, 2010
    i recently came across an inexpensive power supply which generated 1250watts of power; 1250v @ 1a. I need a power supply that can provide as much wattage, but at a lower voltage, like around 250-300 volts. Unfortunately other power supplies like that are too expensive for me. I know how to make a voltage divider circuit, but the only problem is whenever i use a resistor before my zvs induction heater circuit, it doesnt work. I would make my own dc/dc converter, only i cant find any inexpensive transistors, or other switches, that can handle that much voltage at that much power. I was wondering if anyone knew of a method of lowering a voltage like 1250v to something like 250v-300v, and maintaining almost all the wattage as well; without using the usual resistive divider circuit.

    any help would be great
  2. Adjuster

    Late Member

    Dec 26, 2010
    In principle, what you would need is a switched-mode power converter to transform your 1250 at 1A into 250V to 300V at 4A, (or thereabouts). Unfortunately, if you could obtain this at all, it would probably be expensive. It would be better, and in my opinion cheaper to buy the right power supply in the fist place.

    Designing (or even building) an SMPS of this power and voltage would be a challenging project for an experienced engineer, and is not a safe thing to deal with if you don't have much relevant experience.