High voltage ozone generation

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
@jpanhalt

You need a break from sniffing all that Stoddard! ;)

@topic

Have you looked into any diy ozone generators? Is your leyden jar type thinggy from a tested design?

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
DangerousBill - There is no o2 feed its just air. We can all take risks ;)
marshallf3 - Cheers for the heads up on the boards, but it's not really the electronics that I am (was) having a problem with.
reched - I don't think it has been tested thoroughly lol! With regards to the skin effect (the effect which keeps very high frequency AC flowing near the surface of a conductor), I can't see how that has anything to do with whats going on. I may not have explained myself properly - with the old setup, I pulled the outer electrode away from the outer tin foil (actually aluminium tape). An arc was formed between the now-seperated electrode and the outer aluminium tape. The arc that formed was exactly the same as the arc that I can pull from this flyback when there is no foil-glass-foil obstacle in the way - which leads me to believe that for some reason this setup presented no resistance to 20-odd KHz high voltage AC. I think this phenomena has something to do with the surface area of the conductors. I cannot seem to find the connection between the fact that AC @ gigahert+ frequencies conducts near the surface of metals, and this behaviour I am witnessing - bearing in mind this circuit only runs at about 24KHz.

As a side, electricity needs to travel through a gas to form corona, so covering a glass in aluminium tape both inside and out was a pretty silly idea in heinsight lol. That still doesn't explain why the circuit acted as if the glass insulator was not there though!

I have changed the design slightly and now it gives of a truely horrendous amount of ozone - I have a 70cl glass vodka bottle filled with saltwater. (I'm not making this sound any safer, am I?) A wire is dangling in to this salt water through the metal cap - which has been drilled through and siliconed up for a water right fit around the wire. The outside of the glass has a bare wire running around it in a coil 5 times. This wire is superglued to the glass in multiple places. Each electrode is going to the flyback transformer. There is a LOT of hiss and enough ozone generation to make the levels in the room uncomfortable after a few seconds. I think I might dial down the voltage a tad. I have pics of the two set ups if they are of any use. =]

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Try doing away with bottles, foil & salt water, & use a spark gap made from sharp points spaced to give a good spark, maybe multiple gaps.