high voltage amplification

nimaajbphs

Joined Jun 1, 2011
The piezo device datasheet indicates that there is an offset; the positive input (red lead) must never go negative with regards to the negative input.

The devices you linked to in http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=368199&postcount=14 are high voltage DC-DC converters with variable outputs. They are not designed to output triangle waves. They would have a rather long response time to the control input compared to an opamp. Besides that, the output current those converters would not be adequate for charging/discharging the Piezo beyond a few Hz.

If you decreased your requirement to below 2kHz, you might be able to use the original opamp that you found; as the drive current requirement will be considerably less than at 5kHz. However, you will still need cooling for the opamp; heat sinking will be required.
I'm a bit confused. :confused: In page 2 of the datasheet for the DC-DC converter(http://www.emcohighvoltage.com/pdfs/caseries.pdf) they say that they can operate at frequencies up to 180 kHz at 5 mA, Is this frequency corresponding to a different property than the one that I am interested in?

and yes at this point I am willing to operate the pieze at 1 kHz or lower.

Also if this is the case and I have to resort back to my original op-amp method for achieving this, would someone please review my schematic posted earlier to see if I have the correct design for the task.
Thank you for your help.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The piezo device datasheet indicates that there is an offset; the positive input (red lead) must never go negative with regards to the negative input.
This is the statement found directly above the plots. The plot itself doesn't help to clarify it either.
"AC or Pulsed operation causes the device to generate heat (see Figure 1)"
There is no ambiguity in the term "AC" in our field. It does not equate to pulsating DC or a sine wave that does not traverse below zero. Call it a sinusoidally varying DC current, composite DC or DC sine wave but it's not AC.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
This is the statement found directly above the plots. The plot itself doesn't help to clarify it either.

There is no ambiguity in the term "AC" in our field. It does not equate to pulsating DC or a sine wave that does not traverse below zero. Call it a sinusoidally varying DC current, composite DC or DC sine wave but it's not AC.
The datasheet is confusing. This device will not pass direct current (unless you get the voltage polarity wrong). If you impose a sine wave that swings between 0 and 100V, the current will be AC.
I think it's electrically much like a polarized capacitor.

nimaajbphs

Joined Jun 1, 2011
ok guys,
So given all this information, what do you guys with experience in the field suggest is the best way to go about achieving this task?