High to cmos voltage level converter

sanjeevnaik

Joined Jul 9, 2009
Hi im using atmel arm7 mcu. Im interfacing external word with high voltage level.i need to convert 15v to 24v to logic 1 state in mcu and 0v to 5v to logic 0 level in mcu. Please help which ic is sutable for this level translator.or tell me other method

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I don't know such an IC because I haven't needed one yet. However, you can use two transistors, two zener diodes and a few resistors to convert these voltage levels to appropriate voltage levels for the ARM.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
What is the frequency of the signal?

If it is in the range of kHz it would be better to use comparator ICs to perform this.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Why do you need this voltages ranges?

You can just use a transistor with a 1K resistor on its base. When the voltage is less than 0.7V it will output a logic 1 (5V because the collector will be connected to 5V via a resistor). When the input will be greater than 0.7V the transistor will output 0V. If you want to invert the logic levels add another transistor on the output of the first to make an inverter.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If your TTL/CMOS inputs are Schmitt-trigger, you can do it with just a couple of resistors.

If they are not Schmitt-trigger inputs, you could use a CMOS 4093 or 74HC14 to "square up" the input signal.

With a Schmitt trigger input, the ambiguous "in-between" voltage range is removed. For CMOS, the trigger levels are 1/3 Vdd and 2/3 Vdd. Once a trigger level is reached, the output changes states. The output stays in that state until the other trigger level is reached.

See the attached.

Attachments

Last edited: