High speed motors

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I was wondering how you folks would go about trying to make a motor go as fast as possible.

The reason I'm asking is I'm looking to build a fast model car, but I want it to go as fast as possible. Battery life is not important, so long as the car goes fast! Think of it as a drag racer.:D

What sort of motor would you use? Perhaps one which the speed is controlled by frequency, or would by voltage be better?

If voltage is preferrable, how would you go about creating a circuit which would very quickly transmit a lot of electrical energy to the motor?

Thanks for your time,

Sparky

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
"Drag racing slot cars" used to be a popular hobby and might still be. You could google that.

From memory they just run the DC motor at a much higher power input than usual, and allow for the fact that the motor might burn out every couple of races.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks RB.

The power source must be contained within the car, so its got to be in the form on batteries.

What would the lightest, yet with highest power output type of cell?

CraigHB

Joined Aug 12, 2011
The hobby RC stuff is going to be your best bet. I recently watched a video of a model airplane that goes over 200KPH running on a stack of four small lithium-polymer batteries. Pretty amazing. Check out HobbyKing for what you need to build a model drag racer.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
if you're talking like outlaw class pinewood derby, high speed, very short duration, a hive high value capactitor can store a lot more than a battery for the same space and discharge it WAY faster. That's what I'm doing for my company's annual pinewood cometition next year. a couple of 5F small caps and exceed the voltage of the little motor by 2X or 3X.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks Guys.

Strantor, could you tell me what capacitors you are using? Perhaps you could send me a rough schematic, even by PM if your project is tope-secret.;)

I've tried looking, but all the big capacitors I can find a rated at 2.7V, not the biggest out there...

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Perhaps I should mention that this car has no help from gravity, it starts stationary on a flat surface.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks Guys.

Strantor, could you tell me what capacitors you are using? Perhaps you could send me a rough schematic, even by PM if your project is tope-secret.;)

I've tried looking, but all the big capacitors I can find a rated at 2.7V, not the biggest out there...
Not to be super secretive, but no, I can't. I can't find them. I don't remember what voltage they were, but I was thinking it was plenty high, like 20 or 30V. Now I'm not so sure, because I can't find anything higher than 5.5V 1.5F. here's a list of them.
Yeah I must have been way off, I don't think such capacitor exists @ 20-30V.
as far as the schematic, just a wire going from one pole of the cap thru a normally closed (held open by the gate) switch in the front, to the motor, then back to the cap. BTW I haven't made it, it's just a plan, might not work. probably will weld the switch together first try and fry the motor on first, second, or maybe 3rd try (conservative estimate)