high speed clocking in of data FIFO question

baringforge

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm mainly a software guy, with enough hardware prototyping experience to be dangerous :) I have an application I'm working on where I want to clock in serial data from a device at 4 Mb/s. I tried adding a shift register in, but I still get 4,000,000 / 8 interrupts per second to my poor little Coldfire cpu.

I'd like to incorporate a deep fifo in the mix so I can go out and read in a bunch of data once in awhile via dma on my data bus or whatever. Something like a "Serial to parallel fifo", like the IDT72142 would be pure gold, but it's obsolete, probably because everyone uses FPGAs nowadays. Does anyone know of a good way to clock serial data into a fifo, then pull it out in parallel (8 or 16 bit)? I was thinking about doing an FPGA, but I'd like to just drop in an IC and get this done.

Thanks !

baringforge

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the reply. It could be that I'm lost, but I'm not sure that using a 74hc594 buys me much more than I already have. I'm already using a shift register (74hc164). I'd like to be able to buffer up at least 4Kbit so I only have to pull out data at 1ms periods.

I've got a:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=800-1507-5-ND

This is a neat 2048X9 fifo, but I can't get from my shift register into that, so I was hoping to find a fairly deep fifo I can populate serially.

baringforge

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's kinda weird. There doesn't appear to be any SIPOs available anywhere, by anyone. It seems like there would at least be a market for these things.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
It's kinda weird. There doesn't appear to be any SIPOs available anywhere, by anyone. It seems like there would at least be a market for these things.
That's because the capability is inherent in most programmable devices, manipulated with simple software routines/switches.