High side or low side?

gagakseto

Joined Mar 19, 2011
Hello All,

I'm new here so please be gentle:)
My first question, what is the consideration in using MOSFET switching in high side switch or low side switch? is it depend on the load? what is the advantage or disadvantage. For example if I have a heater, both should be able to be PWMed using high side or low side config of MOSFET, which one is better? the other also solenoid it should be able both config, what should be considered here then?

Many thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It's usually easier to switch on the low-side using an N-channel MOSFET.
But, if you get into higher voltages (say, over 40 or so) you'd want to use an N-channel MOSFET on the high side with a high-side driver IC. That way, when the MOSFET is off, power is removed from the load instead of the ground.

gagakseto

Joined Mar 19, 2011
Yes I know the difference. Which one better, hi-side or lo-side switching ? given that you aren't restricted to use N or P-channel nor the cost budget. Is the hi-side (with protection) safer for the load for example?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Tell us what you are doing. High-side can be very useful in applications where you have an airplane or car or accessories thereto with negative ground, for example.

John

gagakseto

Joined Mar 19, 2011
But, if you get into higher voltages (say, over 40 or so) you'd want to use an N-channel MOSFET on the high side with a high-side driver IC. That way, when the MOSFET is off, power is removed from the load instead of the ground.
Thanks SgtWookie! your explanation enlighten me, it answers my question

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A high side switch is, when the load is between the mosfet and ground.

A low side switch is, when the mosfet is between the load and ground.

N-channel low side is the easiest to configure. All the gate needs to switch on is +10V or for logic level mosfet +5V.

A N-channel high side has to have the gate at +10V or +5V for logic level above the source voltage when turned on.

A P-channel has to be has to have a -10V signal to turn on.

As long as your heater or solenoid has a + and - connection on it (two wires) it can be wired as a high or low side device. Some things only have a single wire connection(the body or frame is the negative/ground) They have to be wired as a high side. Unless the body or frame can be isolated from the rest of the circuit.

gagakseto

Joined Mar 19, 2011
Tell us what you are doing. High-side can be very useful in applications where you have an airplane or car or accessories thereto with negative ground, for example.

John
Doing nothing actually. Just wondering around some schematic of car heater. It is a low side switched. Could you please explain how useful high side with negative ground in car or airplane? thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Doing nothing actually. Just wondering around some schematic of car heater. It is a low side switched. Could you please explain how useful high side with negative ground in car or airplane? thanks
It only takes one wire to control the device. See post #8 too.

In other situations, think of high-side as sourcing, low-side as sinking. Wiring an SCR with the gate switched low-side would be very difficult compared to switching it high side.

John