High side driver problem

rajeshkn

Joined Aug 22, 2012
Hello I need to select/design an high side driver for a motor that needs continuous drive(Not pulsed operation). The motor has coil resistance of about 200mΩ, inductance of 130uH. supply voltage is DC 6V~16V, starting current limit should be 30Amps, normal operation current is 15A~25A (continuous). The motor need dc supply current. The supply requirements for motor is: Motor on->5 seconds, Motor off->5 seconds, this has to repeat for 20 minutes (total 120 times motor on, 120 times motor off) and then there will be a long pause.

Please suggest any idea. I need something like a constant current source which can supply 15A to 25A current (continuously) (And start up current should be <30A is important)

Some additional desired features are
Short circuit strength to power supply and ground, line breakage, excess temperature of the power output stage, Current monitoring,drive must have a temperature sensor for diagnose the temperature of the driver for a range of -40°C to +200°C.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Be smart and use a smart High side switch. Makes it much easier.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bts+650

Drive it with 5 second astable multivibrator and a monostable of 20min.

Are you sure you need a constant current source? According to your description the current changes, so it's not constant. Maybe you mean a current limit when it gets to 25A, i.e. the supply voltage decreases when reaching 25A?

rajeshkn

Joined Aug 22, 2012
Thank you for you reply.
Word constant current source was not appropriate there.

For me the nominal load current required is about 15A to 25 Amps. BTS650 support about 17 Amps (typ) only.

Should I choose heigher current rated smart High side switch?
They are bit expensive at higher currents.
Is BTN79XX half bridge are cost effective solution as they support higher load current?