High sensitivity pressure sensor

megadeth

Joined Oct 15, 2012
Hello,

I am prototyping a sensor for an application that requires highly sensitive pressure measurement. My requirement is to detect static pressure of 0-5 psi with sensitivity of 0.0001 psi? Also, the sensor should should have a linear response and should be compact (height no more than a couple of mm at the most). The surface area for what I want to measure is 1 sq. cm.

I have researched that capacitive sensors should be able to achieve this sensitivity and range. But I am not sure. I also read somewhere that PVDF thin film sensor would work for my application. Anyone here have experience with such pressure sensors? Any other suggestions are welcome, in case I am headed in the wrong direction.

I am not very good with hardware design (I'm an algorithms guy) but I am willing to learn. Are there easier ways to get these sensors and try?

Thanks,
Megadeth

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
You need a resolution of 1 part in 50,000 ?

In a package a couple of mm high? and linear too?

That's a very tall order.

Maybe if you open up the dialog a bit by elaborating on what you are trying to accomplish, some clever ideas may emerge.

megadeth

Joined Oct 15, 2012
You need a resolution of 1 part in 50,000 ?

In a package a couple of mm high? and linear too?

That's a very tall order.

Maybe if you open up the dialog a bit by elaborating on what you are trying to accomplish, some clever ideas may emerge.
Thanks, that's a starting point. Let me relax a few constraints and build from there. Engineering is about compromises.

Size does not matter so it can be any packaging. Linearity also does not matter so nonlinear output over the range is acceptable.

So I need a pressure sensor that measures static pressure in range 0-5 psi and offers a resolution of 0.0001 psi. What are the available options?