high power switch

Thread Starter


Joined Jan 23, 2010

i wanted an electronic switch for my project.i thought of using a mosfet.but i dont know the connections of it as well as the part name.
the requiremens are:12V,upto 15A of current capability.please tell me if i have to give more info.
Check with international rectifer they have a plenty types of mosfet that suites to your needs. For example you have 12vol source supply that is capable of giving 15A, this will pass from D-S by applying gate voltage. I'm not good in explaining but I know how it works. well to make it simple search for IRF7476.


Joined Dec 5, 2009
agreed. If you are looking for low frequency of switching, a relay would be fine.

There are solid-state relays available that dont have the "click" of an electro-mechanical relay, if you want to use it in a quiet area.

Also, there is no back EMF with solid state, or not as much. Most relays have diodes across the coil to protect from that.

Thread Starter


Joined Jan 23, 2010
thank you all for the replies.
i'm trying to build a stepper controller which demands an electronic switch.i want to eventually be able to drive high freq. brushless motors.so relays cannot be used.can anyone give a 3 pin mosfet which i could solder right away.i'm still learning,so i wouldnt be able to integrate IC's into my circuit.all i need is a mosfet which can handle 12V and approximately 15A of current.(all though i dont need 15A of current right now).when i give 1 to the gate a current of 15A should flow at minimum resistance.please name a mosfet that is more common so i can it easily.

thank you


Joined Mar 24, 2008
A SSR (solid state relay) is not mechanical. It may match your application nicely. Basically it is usually an optocoupled triac device.