High power LED Heatsinks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If your willing to settle for a square one instead of the round style you could use a CPU heatsink which are cheap($2-$8) and available most places dealing with electronics and/or computers

If you know someone with a lathe you could have it made INTO a round one.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Go to the dollar store.

Look at all of their cheap trinkets.

They have a handful of aluminimun "necklace charms" and other crap that work great as heat sinks and are "pretty".

You must use thermal grease, because nothing is perfectly flat.

AND you dont get a thermal profile from the dollar store..

But for $1, you can plot your own.

I have also gotten (for $1) "MEMORY HEAT SINKS" that are 1 inch square heatsinks to be placed on the memory on a motherboard. 8 came in a pack for $1.

Bear_2759

Joined May 23, 2008
thanks guys, I've got a few old CPU heatsinks so that's deffinately an option, however I'm likely to be using a few hundred of these long term so the dozen heatsinks I've got would run out very quickly and I'd like to keep it uniform if possible...

I found this though,
http://www.satistronics.com/high-po...le-for-3w-and-5w-power-led-53mm22m_p2161.html

how well would that work with one of these?
http://ledsupply.com/07007-pw750-n.php

I'm quite the noob when it comes to thermal conductivity, I know I need a heatsink & thermal paste but that's about it.

would that heatsink work with the hole in the centre?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have no idea why they have a hole in the center. That makes no sense.

That is EXACTLY where you want to draw the heat away! THAT is where the junction is!

UGG.... $1.65 from china.... You get what cha' pay for.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats the irony. ;)

I would still recommend the dollar store.

I have "pretty" paperweights that were 3 for $1. Pop off the little clay heart and bam! a 2oz heat sink. Works great. You can get them by the case load.

I am using Cree xlamps at 350mA, and they can run all day on one of these paperweights. Even the one that has father spelled wrong.

Bear_2759

Joined May 23, 2008
I think I'ev decided to give them a go even though unsure about the hole in the centre. after searching around this appears to be quite common for the high powered LED heatsinks. I'll get one and test it out to see what happens.