High Power LED Driver/Flasher (150+ Watts)

omenhost

Joined Mar 19, 2012
Do any of you know of an adjustable switching constant current source driver that can be used to power the Bridgelux BXRA-C8000 LED array?

Typical current = 2.8A
Typical forward voltage = 30.4V

Current range = 1.5-3.75A (5A pulsed)
Forward voltage range = 27-34V

The driver needs to have PWM dimming and an external input for triggering/pulsing.

Luckily I have the luxury of selecting the power source later, so the driver could be DC-DC buck, boost or even 120VAC input (it will be in a vehicle application with large sine wave inverter.) DC power source could be the vehicle's battery or an intermediate regulated power supply at upwards of 48VDC.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this but I couldn't find anything commercially available that would switch on fast enough.
The LED will essentially function as a precision strobe, needing to turn on as fast as possible (<1ms) and turn back off after less than 10ms.

I have not had much experience with LED power electronics but am more than willing to learn. If there isn't anything like this on the market, what general topology would you suggest I look into for building my own.

Thank you very much for the help.

P.S. Bonus points if the driver can run multiple BXRA-C8000s

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
<snip> (it will be in a vehicle application with large sine wave inverter.) DC power source could be the vehicle's battery or an intermediate regulated power supply at upwards of 48VDC.
<snip>
Hello Omenhost,
Our Terms of Service is here: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_tos.html

The relevant paragraph reads:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
As you can see, "Automotive modifications" are considered off-topic, and thus discussion of such topics is not permitted on these Forums. These rules were decided upon by the Owners of the forums, and the rules are not open for discussion nor modification.

I urge you to abandon the idea of modifying the electrical system of your vehicle. I recommend that you have your vehicle professionally maintained to be in the same configuration as it was when delivered by the dealership, as at that point in time it had to be in compliance with all applicable safety regulations and laws.

However, if you feel that you absolutely must proceed with your project against my advice, you will need to seek assistance elsewhere. There is a short list of forums that might entertain automotive modification related topics, here:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

In the meantime, feel free to peruse the Forums, and if you have other questions/projects that are not on the restricted list, start a new topic/thread to post about it. I will caution you that information that you may find on this site is not intended for use in a vehicle, or in other situations where human safety may be jeopardized if the circuit fails.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Post Closed

Based on the feedback on this thread on this post I am reopening this thread.

Please keep in mind our requirements on none automotive circuits are serious.

mmcap

Joined Mar 21, 2012
If I understand your post correctly it looks like you are still looking for a power supply to meet your needs. Try vicorpower.com they should be able to fix you up with any power supply you could need. I think one like that will run you about $190 US.