High Frequncy Coil Driving

bte

Joined Aug 15, 2012
Hello,

I have a hypothetical question:

If I'm driving a coil at a high frequency, around 50Mhz, with a coil inductance of around 500uH, from a distance about about 10 feet from switch to coil, do you need a transmission line or are you better off without one for driving an inductive load?

Thanks!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't understand the motivation for the question. What is the purpose of creating a 50 MHz signal with an inductor for a load? What purpose do you think will be served by using or not using a transmission line?

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi,

To avoid reflections; use coax cable, or twist pair cable. For that frequency and line length you must terminate the line with its characteristic impedance. The source impedance should also match. You can use a matching transformer, or resistor pad if required.

My guess is you can just place the 500uH coil across the terminating resistor. The coil impedance is very high at that frequency, but a lot depends on details you have not provided.

Good Luck,
Ifixit

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So the problem of the terminating resistor is that it will dissipate real power. You could also come up with a capacitor in series or parallel that would match the characteristic impedance of the transmission line. How much power do you want to deliver to the coil and for what purpose?