High Frequency Transformer

Peytonator

Joined Jun 30, 2008
Hi there,

I built a high frequency transformer:

• f = 80kHz (square wave)
  • 15 primary turns, 45 secondary (turns ratio 3)
  • Ferrite core
All my calculations tell me that I'm not loading the source or saturating, but I get strange waveforms on the primary and secondary.. I can't seem to post the image (too big), but the positive plateau slopes downwards and the negative upwards. It does a little kink at each transition. What's going wrong and how do I fix this?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Hi there,

I built a high frequency transformer:

• f = 80kHz (square wave)
  • 15 primary turns, 45 secondary (turns ratio 3)
  • Ferrite core
All my calculations tell me that I'm not loading the source or saturating, but I get strange waveforms on the primary and secondary.. I can't seem to post the image (too big), but the positive plateau slopes downwards and the negative upwards. It does a little kink at each transition. What's going wrong and how do I fix this?

It sounds as if the primary inductance is too low. Do you know the Specific Inductance (Al) value of the core?

The inductance is given by L = N\(^{2}\) * Al , so with N=15 you would have L = 225 * Al.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Right enough, how important is it to preserve flat tops and bottoms anyway - and for that matter, how much tilt are we talking about: 10%, 50%, or what?

I think you are going to need to get to grips with posting images.