High esr

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Are these caps bad?

I don't want to disturb them unnecessarily.

150 uf 450 volt

Both read about 7ohms esr.

To tell the truth I've never found in circuit esr readings useful.

I just don't have the experience.
Not that I haven't replaced hundreds. Just haven't found a relationship between bad esr and good esr.

My chart only goes to 250v and 100 or 220uf which lists as .5 to 1 ohm.

I'll google while I wait.

Blown main fuse.

Attachments

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
All the replacements are listed as 1.2 or less.

Anything "in circuit" will read lower. Correct?

These are $7 each and I don't have any here.
I'm quite sure I'll damage them with removal. Leads go thru grommets.

Just need another opinion as this will be the first time esr meter has been helpful.:eek:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
7 ohms seems really high, even for a bad one. It would be nice to measure a new one just to confirm your meter.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I agree. No direct knowledge of this situation, but I estimate that 7 ohms is excessive.

Xc @ 120 Hz calculates to 8.84 ohms. ESR nearly as high as Xc seems unacceptable.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Thanks, seems obvious.

Was just wondering if there are some circuit situations that would cause high reading.

None that I know of.

I'll pull em.

Bridge checks ok.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Just hit me now.

Pretty high voltage rating for a tv. No wonder I don't have any in stock.:confused:

Or to compare.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The only thing I have in that range is a metal can about 2&3/4 inches long by 1.4 inches diameter.

"Seems obvious" right after you play with the math a bit.;)
I recommend you make a habit of doing that. It's kind of like running a simulation, but faster, and you don't have to learn SPICE.:p

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Out of circuit its worse. One is up to 13 ohms and they read 50uf.

Digikey was down this afternoon anyway.

I see some other things in my cart.

I'll order tomorrow.

I always order double of everything. No wonder the place looks like it does.:D

I've changed lots of power supply caps. Can't find any over 250 volts Though. Most designers must cut it pretty close.

This is an LG that I repair every 6 months.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Digikey has them for less but 3000hr versus 10,000 hr.

Who would by a tv if they knew it had 3,000hr caps?:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
....job security.lol
Aha! That explains why I have so little business after all these years of quickly delivering high quality results at low prices. I should have been constantly working to reduce the mean time between failures. :rolleyes:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What percentage of the population even knows what a capacitor is?:rolleyes:
most people believe, if you connect too many plugs to a single socket with expanders, it will overload the power line.

Also the tangled mess of cables somehow could cause a spark and that in turn would immediately cause a fire.

switching on/off a flourescent fixture consumes as much energy as it would require for a whole day + is reducing the lifetime significantly as well.

Cardboard in a microwave will cause it to break.

Unplug televisions in the night to save on electricity bill + best is to unplug all appliances.

Most notorious, keep remote controls inside wrapping + never ever removed the foil from displays.

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
Those caps are too small for that rating. If it was my set I'd put a pair of 300@250v in series in place of each. Works like a charm for my KT88 PP monoblock to replace the original equip Sprague multisection caps.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
May have meant, the originals.

Too late now. They're ordered.

Now that he mentioned it. I could have searched for physically larger (longer) caps of same value.:eek:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
cap is supposed to be 150 mfd and reads 50? get another one, that one is on its way out. high esr affects higher frequencies more than linear supplies. the esr makes the cap act likt lower capacitance due to rc effects. also, the esr makes it heat more and that kills the caps fast.