High current optocoupler

Far

Joined May 11, 2009
I need an optocoupler which could tolerate a current at least 1A. how should I find it?
thanks for your help:)

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
there are lots to choose from. search digikey or newark for some examples. many are opto-fet ("ssr"). you should be able to find 1A in SMT.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I need an optocoupler which could tolerate a current at least 1A. how should I find it?
thanks for your help:)
I imagine from your request about driving the LED emitter side of an optocoupler with so much current that you are trying to span a significant distance between the emitter and the detector. If I am correct in this interpretation then you may want to consider solving your intensity problem by using a cluster of LEDs driven by the same control signal. This would allow you to drive each LED at a more conventional drive current level. I still think you would benefit from pulsing the drive to the LEDs as recommended by bertus since that would allow you to detect your signal in the presence of a significant level of ambient light. Of course that will add some complexity to your receiver since it will need to be designed to detect a time-varying signal from the LED light source.

hgmjr

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
I imagine from your request about driving the LED emitter side of an optocoupler with so much current that you are trying to span a significant distance between the emitter and the detector. If I am correct in this interpretation then you may want to consider solving your intensity problem by using a cluster of LEDs driven by the same control signal. This would allow you to drive each LED at a more conventional drive current level. I still think you would benefit from pulsing the drive to the LEDs as recommended by bertus since that would allow you to detect your signal in the presence of a significant level of ambient light. Of course that will add some complexity to your receiver since it will need to be designed to detect a time-varying signal from the LED light source.

hgmjr
not too complex. a 555 setup as a missing pulse detector on receiver side can easily integrate.