high amperage draw on new motor

natox

Joined Jul 4, 2013
I have a 15 horsepower motor hooked up to 3 phase 480 and it's supposed to be drawing 16 to 17 amps it's drawing 29 and its overheating its controled by relays and goes through a contactor and is on a 30 amp breaker and I don't know what is causing it.do I need to put it on a VFD? Its for a blower in a car wash and it never had anything else before on the motor

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
I'm almost certain that you have it wired for low voltage when it should be wired for high voltage...Re-do the connections at once for High Voltage! You may have a dual voltage starter, ie: Low Voltage Start...High Voltage Run.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

natox

Joined Jul 4, 2013
it is dual voltage 208 & 460 its got 12 different leads for different combinations of hookups for delta run or delta start wye start to Delta run. I'm a state certified journeymen electrician an inside wireman with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers I'm confident in my abilities to know that its hooked up correctly(not said in athe one who replaced was doing the exact same thing and tripping the breaker

natox

Joined Jul 4, 2013
Havent tried to run it unloaded but its only a mechanical blower and I can spin it with my hand but I will take pictures soon as I get back to that site thank you all for your help

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
it is dual voltage 208 & 460 its got 12 different leads for different combinations of hookups for delta run or delta start wye start to Delta run. I'm a state certified journeymen electrician an inside wireman with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers I'm confident in my abilities to know that its hooked up correctly...
So, how is the motor started, across the line?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Have any shrounds, etc. been removed from the blower and not replaced. An increase in the intake size of a blower can cause higher loads on the motor. Listen to the motor on a vacuum cleaner when you restrict the air flow. Motor unloads and speeds up.

natox

Joined Jul 4, 2013
no shrouds have been removed from it the old motor was doing the exact same thing figured and decided to replace it