Hide pad rings in layer?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
In my PCB layout software, on two-sided boards, there is the option to hide individual pad rings on a layer. I am using all through-hole components, and do all the soldering on the bottom layer. My question is why shouldn't I hide all the pad rings that aren't connected to traces on the top layer? This makes routing the top layer easier because the hidden pad rings don't take up surface area, which allows more room for traces.

Am I overlooking some reason that I should leave the pad rings on the top layer?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You're not really missing anything, though I've never seen this done. If should work, essentially you have a single sided trace when not using the thru hole as also a via hole.

Do have a small keep out area on the no-pad side: the hole itself can wander, you have a lead there too to short against.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
what software are you using? I was just using eagle the other day and trying to figure out how to hide pads on one side of the board. (unsuccessfully)

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I've always had to have a minimum annular ring around a plated through hole on both sides of the board, .010" comes to mind. Smaller annular rings can incur more charges to make the PCB. Your fab house will have a list of minimum req's for standard pricing. YMMV

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
what software are you using? I was just using eagle the other day and trying to figure out how to hide pads on one side of the board. (unsuccessfully)
DipTrace. I started to mention that in my first post, but I was leery of it being seen as advertising.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You cant do it in the layout, but you should be able to hide the pad layer when you make the gerbers. Although this means you either have all pads visible or none on that side.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Here's an example.

SW1 is a SPDT switch, but I am using it as a SPST, so the pad in the top right corner has no trace connected to it, and is hidden. This gave me more room to run the trace from the wiper on the switch around the anode of LED1.

Attachments