hi

jabar

Joined Oct 13, 2009
hi
which one is easier?
designing a calculator by FPGA or TTL IC's for an amutor student his knowlege about ttl is more than Fpga?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not sure what FPGA is, TTL is pretty much obsolete, though it is what I learned in college. How about CMOS?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You should go with FPGA.
TTL is still around, but as Bill Marsden suggested, it's basically obsolete technology, as well as 4000-series CMOS.

You would need a very large pile of TTL IC's (many now unavailable) to accomplish what you could do in an FPGA.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) would seem to be the better choice. Do you have access to the design development tools that you will need for your FPGA of choice?

hgmjr

jabar

Joined Oct 13, 2009
FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) would seem to be the better choice. Do you have access to the design development tools that you will need for your FPGA of choice?

hgmjr
thanks for your quick answer but i have not any knowlege about fpga.

Thav

Joined Oct 13, 2009
CPLDs are less powerful, but cheaper, and you can still program them with VHDL or Verilog. Also, most CPLD or FPGA development tools (available free from Altera or Xilinx) have schematic entry methods of programming that could put your TTL knowledge to good use.

These devices are unlike microprocessors in that you're really just routing connections inside the device to various logic gates to make youre circuit.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

TTL is rather old. ( Iused it 30 years ago). But here is a linlpage from the EDUCYPEDIA on TTL:
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/digitaltechnologyttl.htm

Other digital logig pages can be found there too:

Digital electronics:
Arithmetic circuits D/A-A/D converters Number systems Codes and decoders Flip flops Technology Counters and registers General overview Technology-CMOS Digital logic Memories Technology-TTL Timers and oscillators

They also have a page on VHDL:
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/VHDL.htm

So take your pick.

Greetings,
Bertus