Hi

Lm741

Joined Sep 2, 2008
Hi there :)

I'm new to the forums, but have been reading them for a while. I'm currently studying towards a HNC in electronics and have joined up to gain some more knowledge as I'm not really comfortable with my current understanding of all things electronic!

I look forward to asking a lot of questions! Heh! :p

Lm741

Joined Sep 2, 2008
Thanks for the welcome Dave, I discovered those e-books a couple of years ago whilst doing my ONC, they've been a great help!

I'm now in my final year and am weighing up my options, one of which is continuing studying at university. In order to do that I feel I really need understand the basics 100% as i'll shoot myself in the foot if I don't.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello all,

If you have any questions, the members of the AAC forum will always try to help.

Greetings,
Bertus

Lm741

Joined Sep 2, 2008
Thanks for the link bertus, I shall have a good look around it later :)

I'm not sure how much help I can be Mike, but feel free to ask...

Is it ok to ask questions in here (with it being off-topic and all?)?

Lm741

Joined Sep 2, 2008
Just read that, I was close but got a bit muddled up. It's quite straight forward now that I know exactly how it works!

Another slightly different topic, for those of you who have been to university (in the UK) how vital was it that you went to a 'top' university when looking for jobs?

I understand that the electronic/electrical engineering degree is quite sought after by employers but I feel that the 'top' universities may favour people with A-levels rather than my HNC.

Having had a look at some of the Universities that aren't in the top 10 listings, their courses are similar to the way the HNC (more coursework) is taught, so they might suit me better, but I will avoid them if going there would be detrimental to my career prospects!

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I understand that the electronic/electrical engineering degree is quite sought after by employers but I feel that the 'top' universities may favour people with A-levels rather than my HNC.
Don't count on it. Back in the day when I applied for my undergrad I had a HNC (done as part of my apprenticeship) and got offers from several "top" universities (I'm classing this as a Russell Group university which ranks highly); I eventually went onto study at a "top" university. They did express concerns about my ability to do the more analytical aspects of the course, however I still got a first with honours and went on to do a postgraduate doctorate. Don't think the HNC is a weakness, there are many benefits to this qualification that makes you stand out from those that have gone down the traditional A-level route, you just have to sell it to them.

Dave

Lm741

Joined Sep 2, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

I think that my HNC might let me down is some aspects. Did you have to sit any exams during your HNC? So far in the first year we have had no exams. Whilst this is great for many people, but I really feel that as you are not forced to remember all of the information for an exam that you tend to forget a fair bit (well I do anyway). This is precisely the reason I am on this site, so I can now read up about general electronics whilst not at college.

Did you find that going to a 'top' uni helped you get where you are today? For instance I have some friends who said they wouldn't have got the placement jobs they have if they didn't go to the top uni they went to.

It's good to hear that someone else has been through what I'm going through and has ended up with a First class degree, so there is light at the end of the tunnel!