Hi im new here

krahsami

Joined Dec 31, 2008
Im also a newbie so bear with me. I have programming knowledge in c and C++. I am now experimenting with my first PIC. I bought a velleman kit K8048 (programmer and experiment board) just to start dabbling. Im soldering it up as we speak. Anyway I have no real assembly experience im sure I can figure it out if really need be but is there a way to use C programming instead with other software to use this experiment board?

Right now it comes with the pic16F627

• power supply: 12 or 15V DC, min. 300mA, non-regulated adapter
  • supports the following microcontrollers:
    • PIC12F629, PIC12F675
    • PIC16C83, PIC16CR83, PIC16F83, PIC16C84, PIC16CR84,PIC16F84, PIC16F84A
    • PIC16F870, PIC16F871, PIC16F872, PIC16F873, PIC16F873A, PIC16F874, PIC16F874A, PIC16F876, PIC16F876A, PIC16F877(A)(ICSP only)
    • PIC16F627, PIC16F627A, PIC16F628, PIC16F628A, PIC16F648A
    • PICF630, PIC16F676
    • PIC16F818, PIC16F819
Also what do you guys think is the best PIC simulation\Emulation software that I might want to use.

• Thanks for the help:)

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If you have a programmer you can write the code in C, then compile it with MPLAB and then load the program on the chip with the programmer.

What is wrong with the software they gave you?

krahsami

Joined Dec 31, 2008
I figure I want to power and program the chip and learn how to use one led first. Im looking for a really basic tutorial. My programming knowledge is mostly for data bases. I can code well just never been to this level with micro controllers, and am very interested. I gotta start at square 1 I realize and am looking for a good starting point that is fairly easier to understand because the only thing I ever flashed was my sat reciever. But as for reading and writing comands thats all data bases do and have that down pretty well. The best part about this code is there is usually no real user input except for buttons ect, and advanced projects. So coding around human error is alot easier than when they input data into a user screen for storage purposes. I realize now the potential of combing the 2. Outside input out put and custom software to read the information makes the projects limitless. Databases suck there boring. I want to see the commands visually. Also I paintball and they have micro controllers for triggers now. Having my own custom software and understanding it would be a huge advantage over buying one of the premade ones. My ultimate hope a microphone onboard and I can talk to my paintball marker and it will switch to differnt modes. (Way too cool) single, burst, full auto, Programming a button to do it will be easy but voice is my ultimate goal.

A year from now I may blow your mind though.

Also the first set of links was incredibly helpful the 2nd set just made me jealous, although the text response was more helpful. In the first set I had noticed Visual basic while exploring in the USB section. Now if this is the case that is my fav progamming language. Is this true some how to use VB ?

Just need a little bit of advice on which way to go from here because Ive searched forever and finally here I am now a new member.

Last edited:

duffy

Joined Dec 29, 2008
>>I figure I want to power and program the chip and learn how to use one led first.

Very sensible. This is the "Hello world" of microcontrollers.

There are some Basic compilers for the Pic, but a real man writes down to the bare metal. The Visual Basic in the USB section is used on the PC side for communications. It works GREAT there, I recommend it for interfacing, but I don't think there's a compiler to run it in a Pic. You probably wouldn't want to use it there anyway, high level code looks like a slow bloated mess in a microcontroller with a couple k of memory and a few megacycles of execution speed.