Hi Guys I have a monitor issue I need some advice.

Nasaguy

Joined Feb 17, 2019
My monitor takes a few turn ons to fire up. This is what happens every time.
I turn it on and get this P3150084.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150085.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150086.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150087.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150090.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150092.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3150093.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this P3160098.jpg
I then turn it off and on and get this last.jpg
Hooray it works and then it will work all day, But as soon as I turn it off I will have to go through several 6 to 12 turns on and offs to get it going again then it will run for days, it fine when it is running somtimes I have seen a little shimmetr on the desktop icong but once it starts it will be fine as long as I leav it on. But turn it off and you will have to go through the lengthly start proceedure all over again with random colors and screen at every turn on. Could this just be a capacitor issue I took it apart and every cap look like new . Where should I look first .Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The first thing I would do is unplug all the monitor cables and card if there is one. Then check for cleanliness and reseat everything. If that doesn't work then move the monitor cable around near the plugs and see if it makes any difference.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You might try using a separate power supply. Your problems are not the typical things you see with a dead power supply, so I’m not optimistic. But it’s pretty easy to hack in a new supply to give it a try.

The last couple monitors I fixed both used 12v DC power supplies rated to 2-4 amp. You can buy one for under $10 but you might even have one if you have some other appliance such as a router or external hard drive.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Looks like communication issues between monitor and graphics card to me. Check cables and card..

if your monitor has an hdmi port, test it with another hdmi video device like a blue ray player, etc., just to see if it the monitor is ok..

eT

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
if the monitor is not plug and play

and the modern OS suspends it . . . the problems might arize or there are issues with sync frequencies on multi-sync or write combining . . .

try with older OS or PC . . .

i had a DVD player that inverted the colors occaionally when powered on at "wrong time" (mostly at the 1-st trial) while the TV was powered on -- there was no fix to this

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Also, what interface are you using? Never use any "adapter" (or adapter cables) between the monitor and the video card(output from computer). There are a lot of "bad" adapters out there that claim to convert analog to digital or digital to analog, but do not meet proper specifications.
An improper adapter can confuse the video card as well as the monitor, causing improper outputs.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Looks like communication issues between monitor and graphics card to me. Check cables and card..

if your monitor has an hdmi port, test it with another hdmi video device like a blue ray player, etc., just to see if it the monitor is ok..

eT
So if it's not the PSU being slow to get the right voltages, would it be the chips aren't working at startup temp's and so do funny things ? And then once it's up to temp, what ever was so out of spec, is now close enough ? Maybe some chip is a bit fried ?

OP I hope it's a power supply issue, and not digital blackbox problems.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i replaced the hdmi cable - in between the Sat-tuner and TV with SCART - because i once cleanded the contacts and swapped the cable ends , but at the second times it just did not conduct anything ???

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
So if it's not the PSU being slow to get the right voltages, would it be the chips aren't working at startup temp's and so do funny things ? And then once it's up to temp, what ever was so out of spec, is now close enough ? Maybe some chip is a bit fried ?

OP I hope it's a power supply issue, and not digital blackbox problems.
That's an excellent point DV. Computer power supplies don't power up and stabilize exactly the same way each and every time. Even good ones. If the PSU is getting weak and beginning to go out of spec, weird issues can appear like the one the OP's computer is experiencing.

eT

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
My monitor takes a few turn ons to fire up. This is what happens every time.
I turn it on and get this View attachment 201583
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201584
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201585
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201586
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201587
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201588
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201589
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201590
I then turn it off and on and get this View attachment 201591
Hooray it works and then it will work all day, But as soon as I turn it off I will have to go through several 6 to 12 turns on and offs to get it going again then it will run for days, it fine when it is running somtimes I have seen a little shimmetr on the desktop icong but once it starts it will be fine as long as I leav it on. But turn it off and you will have to go through the lengthly start proceedure all over again with random colors and screen at every turn on. Could this just be a capacitor issue I took it apart and every cap look like new . Where should I look first .Thanks for any advice.
What type of video does the computer have? Is it a separate plugin card? or it is embedded on the motherboard?

eT

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Would be ice to have another monitor to try. Monitor or graphics card if graphics use a separate card? My wife's monitor began to develop rainbow faint lines which she adjusted to. I used her PC one day and within a few minutes I was in Amazon. Monitors are not all that expensive, short of finding faulty cabling are about impossible to repair. Amazon Prime and in two days new monitor and old monitor went out to trash in box new monitor came in. Not worth screwing with.

Ron