HHO and PWM cirtuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I'm pursuing an interest in building a small boat powered by a 5 Hp B&S four stroke engine.
I want the B&S to develop Electrical energy to make HHO gas to fuel the B&S.

So far I'm facing an 'Attitude' that AC or small DC wont make it happen.
PWM's are necessary.
I'd like to know what you guys think?

As I understand it, you can bombard a container of water with some Electricity.
The result will be the seperation of the Hydrogen and Oxygen.
One Gas will collect around the Positive terminal, the other will go to the Negative.

So now we have Gas Bubbles rising, which has to be collected, then fed into the intake of the little B&S to be used as fuel.
(you fool! You'll set the lake on fire:D)
That's what I'm getting so far.:cool:

I'd like to know what the PWM advantage would be over the Small Voltage Alternator of the little B&S?

Does anybody know how much AC or DC it's gonna take to make the gas seperate?
I read the threads on HHO and I'm even more confused now.

This has the makings of a workable project though. Do any of you know of a successor? A guy who's making it work?
Dick

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
it isn't a matter of how high a voltage, but is a function of CURRENT. An engine capable of running a generator AND driving a small boat will require lots and lots of fuel. Supplying enough HHO gas to run the engine will be a full time job + some. There will not be any power available to run the boat, and the engine will slow down and die very quickly from fuel starvation. Electric hydrolysis is very current hungry and the amount of gas released per amp is quite small on a second by second basis.

Every scheme out there for HHO gas generation is to SUPPLEMENT the existing fuel and increase gas mileage. You will also be faced with the problem of 'perpetual motion'. making a motor create enough output to run itself is not something a realistic engineer would ever attempt. pursuing this subject here will likely get the thread closed.

If you want to make enough hydrogen to run a motor of several horsepower, I suggest you investigate aluminum/sodium hydroxide reactors. There are several people who have run small engines this way. I'm aware of a man who has powered a lawn mower is this fashion.

Don't delude yourself that your approach can work. The answers can be found(that it won't work) by doing some simple experiments yourself. Using a bench power supply and water, try making HHO gas and measure the volume you capture per second, by running for one minute and dividing by sixty. Using the volume of the pistoncylinder on the motor and the number of revs per second you can come up with the volume of gas required to fill it. Compare the numbers and then scale the amperage of your hydrolysis to generate that amount of gas. Then compute the weight of a generator large enough to create that massive amount of electric current. You will soon see that such schemes are silly beyond belief. Better off with an aluminum/ hydroxide reactor vessel if you really want to run on HHO.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I'm pursuing an interest in building a small boat powered by a 5 Hp B&S four stroke engine.
If you want to run your 5hp motor on HHO, you will need about 8-10hp to generate the HHO. Where are you going to take that? Definitely not from the same motor...

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
LOL, you two guys just beat the Crap outta one huge "Snake Oil" campaign.
Thanks for the very detailed explanation.

My idea was to run a Automotive alternator off the Generator.
I've been on YouTube all night looking at some ameture Vids on the idea.

It's easier to make the gas than I thought. But as you say, it's a Current Hog, and no mention of Volumn. Sometimes I wish I was a film director.
So we come right down to the Amps consumed/Gas produced ratio.
Already it dont look doable.
I might try the Welding though, so see a little more about the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.