Hey Bill.....A Quest abt 555...s

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hi there Mr. Timer.

I was wondering what you would recommend to PWM a 20W Led.
Specs are 12V at around 1.7A.

Need something as simple as possible, to make the circuit small. Like to drive a logic level HEXFET used in mobo's...I will use a high current one to make the circuit as feasible as possible.

Brilliance control need to be 20% to 100%. Power supply will be 12V.

I know I shud have gone thru the database. I need to make this quick. No time for trial runs. So I hope you wud take some time to just post a schema that I could make in one go.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It is not as simple I thought ..it uses another chip isn't it.

Retched...u must be mistaken...it does not use a FET.

But this is handy to make backlit. Is this thing possible to add any no. of LED's

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was trying to delete it before you read it.

You can use a 10f204 for the job.

You would need to add a MOSFET, and a POT to adjust PWM duty-cycle for dimming.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

Hey Bill...
I Stole ur schematic idea to make my PWM.
Made the circuit and blew a 1W 3.7V LED, was in such a hurry that I never realize that I had 12V applied. The Led Flashed a couple of times and died. I too was blinded for a while :p.

Finally realized the hiccup, I do not need to flash the led, just dim it. So replaced the C1 cap with a 0.22uf and Viola.
I can get from real dim to max or DC or something.
Measured the frequency to make sure it was pulsing.

I omitted every component from the output. Instead used a 100Ω R with a logic FET. It drives a 20W led at 12V perfectly @ 555 Hz :D.....(555 Hmmmmm!!!)

Thanks for the info. Below is a pic for fun

Have a good day.

P.S...the 555Hz part was just a coincidence.......really....what's with you and 555..HUH!!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How much current? A 12V 20W LED (which, BTW, doesn't really exist, this LED has a dropping resistor or circuitry) would use about 1.7A.

Even high power LEDs use the standard dropping voltages, if they are components and not circuits.

Attachments