Help

tiggerlator

Joined Jun 7, 2014
Sorry for the short thread title, but it seems my last attempt, had the bug.

Here is a pic of the circuit diagram of the main amp board of a kenwood A58 amplifier. What i need is someone to point out were to connect to so i have a direct input to the power amp section, bypassing the pre amp. I have a nice rotel pre amp rsp 960ax, and i want to try and use the kenwood as a power amp.

Here is my pre amp, and the denon ud-m31 i am using for power at the moment

amp (1).jpg

If it helps, here is the diagram for the seperate pre amp board that connects to CN6 at the top left of the diagram i poste in the op, i am sure this is were i need to connect to. From what i can figure out, the inputs go through their input section, then through the dolby section, then to here and then to the power amp section. I think i need to connect to 4-L 5+6-G 7-R from CN6 but need to be sure.

basically, i cant afford a power amp to go with my rotel rsp-960AX so figured i would try and use the power amp section of the kenwwod, it is 60wx2, rather than using the denon.

thanks for any help.

Attachments

Last edited:

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Looks to me like 4th down on the connector on the left for one channel where the signal path is shown in bold with an arrow showing signal flow direction. The 7th one down goes to input of other channel. Be careful because the inputs do not look AC coupled so I'd put a capacitor in series to each input.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Agreed, pin 4 and pin 7.

The first (larger) schematic shows the two wires from the "vol out" control, L and R going to pins 4 and 7 respectively.

When hacking amps you can always connect to where the volume control was.

tiggerlator

Joined Jun 7, 2014
Sorry if i should know, but how do i connect the capacitor, like this? Also, can i chop the connections from the amps input or just connect my input and leave the old amp input alone?

What size cap will do?

really thx guys

Attachments

tiggerlator

Joined Jun 7, 2014
Didn't work, i connected it with no caps, but the volume lvl was very low, could hardly hear it with the volume control turned right up.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Interesting.

Can you unplug that preamp connector CN7/6 and try injecting the audio into the power amp input instead?

On the large diagram the power inputs are on pins 2 and 10 of connector CN6.