HELP!

paulie

Joined Jan 2, 2014
I am not very familiar with electronics and am wondering if someone can assist me or at least point me in the right direction. I am wondering if a micro computer chip, say smaller than a dime can easily be affixed to an object and transmit an alert (beeping noise) to a receiver or piezo sensor/speaker when the two are separated by say 10 feet? If this is possible the more smaller and compact the better. Thank you.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Is this just to find your keys which you lost in the sofa?;)

How rigid is the 10ft. separation? What kind of environment? Why wouldn't a 10ft. string work?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'd say it's definitely possible but you'd need to work very hard at it. You'd need to learn programming languages, how certain sensors work (how to run them and how to read from them), and various other things. It won't be easy, but it's definitely possible.

paulie

Joined Jan 2, 2014
Do you think this can be done with a magnetic strip rather than a computer chip. If so would it be less complicated, easier? Thank you for your help!!!!

I am not very familiar with electronics and am wondering if someone can assist me or at least point me in the right direction. I am wondering if a micro computer chip, say smaller than a dime can easily be affixed to an object and transmit an alert (beeping noise) to a receiver or piezo sensor/speaker when the two are separated by say 10 feet? If this is possible the more smaller and compact the better. Thank you.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Do you think this can be done with a magnetic strip rather than a computer chip. If so would it be less complicated, easier? Thank you for your help!!!!

This is acheivable, but probably bigger than a dime. At a minimum, you'll need a processor, a sensor such as an accelometer to sense when the object is being moved, and a wireless communication module such as Bluetooth, which will send an alert to the reciever. Alternatively, you can just have the attached unit sound the alarm, and not use a seperate receiver. If you do this, you might not need a processor, rather a simple circuit that latches the accelerometer output and connect to an audio device. This would be the simplist way.

A magnetic stip might be used in conjunction with a magnetic sensor, such as a hall effect device, to sense that the object was moved, and then similar electronics can sound the alarm.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What if: The base station sounds an alarm if an RFID tag leaves its range? That would allow the mobile part to be very small.