Help

The Raz

Joined Dec 1, 2012
I am not a electronic type of guy but a motor head. I work on a race car which has a 16 volt battery in it for cranking power for the 426 Keith Black Hemi. The car is an all 12 volt system that works well but we have fried 3 computers. I figured out that with the battery charger off, all is well but every time we try to fire up the car with the charger on, the brain gets fried. Yes, you would think the simple fix is to leave the charger off but at the race track with a limited about of time this can and has slipped the mind. I am look for some kind of voltage regulator that can be bought or made that will permanently fix the problem forever. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What you seem to need is direct wiring to the starter and a 16V to 12V regulator at X number of amps to run everything else, or just to run the brain at Y number of amps. The answer depends on X and Y, and whether you can separate the circuits well enough to just regulate for the brain, and not various light bulbs etc.

Then there is the "Term of Service" for this site that forbid anything automotive.
You go find out what X and Y are and I'll flag the moderators down to make a call on whether I am allowed to answer you.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This car is not a street car, from what I am reading, and is not meant for public roads. I may be overruled, but I will let it pass.

A bit of explanation up front from the OP goes a long way.