Help

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Hi! Do you know to build a 12V bipolar stepper motor controller/driver? Do you have its circuit diagram? It is because I have search through the internet and most of them provide me with the unipolar stepper motor driver and some of them do not provide me more info and make me hard to build my 12V bipolar stepper motor controller/driver. Thanks. :D

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by micro@Apr 30 2006, 11:43 PM
Hi! Do you know to build a 12V bipolar stepper motor controller/driver? Do you have its circuit diagram? It is because I have search through the internet and most of them provide me with the unipolar stepper motor driver and some of them do not provide me more info and make me hard to build my 12V bipolar stepper motor controller/driver. Thanks. :D
[post=16716]Quoted post[/post]​
Here is a circuit that uses a counter (U3) and a "2-in to 1 of 4 out decoder" (U4) to sequence the windings of a bipolar motor.

Bipolar Stepper Motor Circuit Example

hgmjr

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by hgmjr@May 1 2006, 06:48 AM
Here is a circuit that uses a counter (U3) and a "2-in to 1 of 4 out decoder" (U4) to sequence the windings of a bipolar motor.

Bipolar Stepper Motor Circuit Example

hgmjr
[post=16719]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks. I still have a question. Can I use your circuit to supply my 12V bipolar stepper motor because the circuit supply is 9V? If I want to use your circuit, what can do for the circuit? I heard that there has a kind of bipolar stepper motor H bridge IC which can control the bipolar stepper motor direction and its speed. May I know what kind of H bridge IC is suitable to me? Thanks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by micro@May 1 2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks. I still have a question. Can I use your circuit to supply my 12V bipolar stepper motor because the circuit supply is 9V? If I want to use your circuit, what can do for the circuit? I heard that there has a kind of bipolar stepper motor H bridge IC which can control the bipolar stepper motor direction and its speed. May I know what kind of H bridge IC is suitable to me? Thanks.
[post=16721]Quoted post[/post]​
The circuit at the link I provided is set up to operate with power supply voltages ranging from 6V to 12V so it should work fine for 12 volts. It is a ratiometric oscillator so the speed should not vary much as a function of the power supply voltage. The primary differents will be that the higher the power supply the greater will be the torque available from the motor.

The potentiometer shown in the circuit is used to set the speed and direction of the motor being driven.

The circuit contains two H-bridge circuits. One H-bridge drives one of the coils and the other coil is driven by the remaining H-bridge.

hgmjr

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Does anyone know hotw to drive a "tri-polar" stepper motor?
It has three wires, between all of them is the same resistance, I guess it is delta connected. I have like five of them from old harddisks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by kubeek@May 1 2006, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know hotw to drive a "tri-polar" stepper motor?
It has three wires, between all of them is the same resistance, I guess it is delta connected. I have like five of them from old harddisks.
[post=16724]Quoted post[/post]​
Here is an interesting article I stumbled onto using google. It touchs on a number of the different configurations for stepper motors along with the required sequencing on drive to the windings. It contains the bi-polar and as well as the triple winding style.

A couple of the figures are even animated so you can watch the action of the rotor as the various coils are energized. One of the links on this page will take you to another page that introduces you to the various control circuits.

Stepper motor configurations

hgmjr