Help With Wiring Timer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceghostster

Joined Dec 13, 2010
i just bought a GE basic timer Model 15070. i pulled out the old light switch and there was a black wire, a white wire and a bare copper and am assuming that white is neutral, black is live/hot and bare copper is ground. on the new timer there is a white labeled 'neutral', black labeled 'hot' and a red labeled 'load'. i can guess white to white, but after reading things from various google searches, i don't know where to connect the red because it seems that it needs to be more than just a ground.
this is more than a normal bartender can handle, help please!

Len Whistler

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Is that that 110 AC volt device? If so I don't think this is the right forum because of the high voltage and danger in receiving wrong advice.

Just an educated guess, I might be wrong.

Spaceghostster

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Is that that 110 AC volt device? If so I don't think this is the right forum because of the high voltage and danger in receiving wrong advice.

Just an educated guess, I might be wrong.

i have no clue. its a normal indoor wall switch in New Jersey, USA, its an outdoor light with an indoor switch to light my driveway

Len Whistler

Joined Dec 10, 2010
I think that's Electrical, this forum is Electronics. Electronics you are dealing with low voltage DC currents, such as 12 volts and you can't get hurt. While Electrical is higher voltage stuff that can really zap you.

I'm just taking an educated guess on what this forum is for and I may be wrong, I just joined a few days ago.

Spaceghostster

Joined Dec 13, 2010
I think that's Electrical, this forum is Electronics. Electronics you are dealing with low voltage DC currents, such as 12 volts and you can't get hurt. While Electrical is higher voltage stuff that can really zap you.

I'm just taking an educated guess on what this forum is for and I may be wrong, I just joined a few days ago.
i dunno, i found some similar posts on this forum in this section, and also, unless my bartending education is off, circuits are comprised of all sorts of things including general house wiring

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Generally our advice is to get a licensed professional to do this, high voltage (as in house wiring is no joke). Your device sounds like a simple switch, the red output is "hot" when the switch is on. The neutral is common to both.

Truly, doing electrical with no clue is dangerous. There are many good books on the subject, including the one on top of the screen. Do the reading, then come back to it, or hire an electrician.

For the record, this site will help with AC wiring, but you need some background before we are comfortable giving help.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As Bill_Marsden already told you, You can better hire a licensed professional to do the job.
We do not want you to get hurt or even killed.

Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.