Help with USB key trigger

iwillneverreadthiscrap

Joined Aug 12, 2012
I need to make a foot switch that when pressed, will send a [COMMAND] key to a Mac via USB. In other words, as if I were pressing the [COMMAND] key on a usb keyboard, except that I'd be stepping on a pedal.
I guess I could buy a cheap keyboard, take all the keys off and just wire a switch directly to the [COMMAND] key, but this would be kind of inelegant, and I might need to make a bunch of them, so if someone could suggest a solution that does not include software tinkering, or programming, I'd be very grateful.
I imagine that there must be a chip that will serve most (or all) the functions necessary?
PS, I am pretty able with soldering of SMT components, and electronics in general; I just don't know USB controllers or HID protocols.
Thanks,
IWNRTC

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Have you looked at numeric keypads? I'm not sure they have a command key on them, but if you could find one that does, they're usually even cheaper than a keyboard and might give you a footprint more like what you're after.

Ooh, another idea. Just about any old USB mouse lets you assign custom key presses to any of its buttons. You just need the software that goes with the mouse.