Help with this tone control circuit

markbr

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Hello, Im trying to figure out how the tone control part of this Danelectro Honeytone guitar amp works. Ie. R7, C7, C8, C9, C11 and the B100K tone pot. When I turn up the tone pot, there's more high frequencies "trapped" in the circuit, so i guess it's a high pass filter? or is it more than that?

Attachments

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Well, it's a bit crude but basically C11 shorts the high frequencies to ground. So when the tone control slider is at that end you will have a treble cut.

At the other end of the tone control, C8 lets the high frequencies through but not the low frequencies. So at the C8 end you will get a bass cut.

markbr

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Thanks JDT, so is R7, C9, C11 a low pass filter? And C8 and the Tone pot a high pass filter?

What is C7 doing?

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
R6, R7 and C11 is a low-pass filter. C8 and the tone control potentiometer (and R8 and the volume control) are a high-pass filter. C8 and C9 are DC blocking.

D1 and D2 are a volume limiter (distortion creator!).

markbr

Joined Mar 21, 2010
Thanks JDT,

I wonder if I could do without the volume limitor, as I want clean sound without any diode clipping. Or are the diodes there as a protection mechanism to prevent large signals going into the second op-amp stage? What do you think?

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
The diodes are part of the overdrive circuit.
Keep the gain down (feedback high) on that stage (pun?) and there will be no clipping. Set and forget the volume level.
I would keep the two features. You may want them sometimes.