Help with this circuit

Pro.Z

Joined Oct 24, 2009
Hello guys,

My doctor gave us a quiz but I could not solve it

I drew the circuit to try to solve but I was confused how to determine whether the resistors are in parallel or in series

So please help me , I want detailed solving please

And , could you please give me some difficult circuits so that I can practice and they should have only resistors and voltage sources or current sources

thanks ,
sorry for my bad drawing :D

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You could start by noting that the two 12 ohm resistors are in parallel so they can be replaced by a single 6 ohm resistor.

hgmjr

Accipiter

Joined Sep 20, 2009
Do you know how to use Thevenin's theorem? If so, then you can apply it several times to this circuit in order to simplify things a bit.

First, do like hgmjr said, and combine those two 12Ω resistors (Do you see why they are in parallel?). Then, you can combine it with the 4Ω resistor in series. Then, form the Thevenin equivalent circuit of the voltage source, 7Ω resistor, and your newly combined resistor. Just continue in like manner from there...

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I was confused how to determine whether the resistors are in parallel or in series

Call one end of a resistor "A", and the other "B". If both "A" ends of the resistors are connected, and both "B" ends of the resistor are connected, they are connected in parallel. If only one end (A-A, A-B, B-B, or B-A) are connected, they are in series.

Note that while you are not getting a detailed solution, you ARE getting detailed help. (We won't be looking over your shoulder the next time you get a quiz! :~) )

--Rich

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Just read a great book that had a chapter on this. Check out "Electrical Engineering 101" 2nd Edition by Newnes books. It really is a great book. It basically follows the AAC's book but goes a little deeper. I don't think I can legally post the chapter so you'll have to get the book. :) Its well worth it though.