Help with simple project (Big Newbie here)

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Ok, so I don't have any experience with these kinds of things, but I'm starting to read up on it. Still, I only have interest in this one project so the books I'm reading are probably over-kill in the end and I'm impatient. Anyway, what I want to build is a device that can be triggered by either a motion or vibration sensor (actually I'd like to make variations of both) and once they're triggered, I want a quick custom audio clip to indicate that its' been triggered. Besides that one function, I suppose I would need an on/off switch in there. That's all I need and it sounds rather simple to me, but I don't really know much about making things like this. If anyone can give me some advice, instructions, or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Oh, I did manage to come across a motion sensor module I think may work, but I'm not positive and would still need to find the other parts and instructions on how to put something like this together. Here's a link to the module I was looking at...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2906724

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Welcome.

That sensor will do fine. Build this and u will built the other type pretty easily.

But first what is the device u like to be activated ones the PIR is triggered.

Show the device, then we can figure out how to drive it, with ease.
How are u planning to power the devices, thru battery or a wall adapter.

Show everything and tell us where and how u want to use the project ones completed.

More info will make every one interested and will give comments from their experience

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the quick response. As for the device that will go off, the only thing I could find is this...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102855

I'm not sure if that will work with the motion sensor module though. And I would definitely prefer to have it powered with a battery (I noticed the recording module has a 9v built in so maybe I can use that?). I was planning on putting the motion sensor facing upwards so that a simple swipe of the hand over it would trigger the audio.

I've not been able to find a vibration sensor anywhere for that variation of the device though.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The motion sensor will have a wide sensing angle.
Even u being near it might trigger the device.
One has to take it apart to narrow the sensing angle

Vibration sensors can be found in car alarms. Or building one is quite simple but for this u have to be familiar with circuit building and soldering.

The PIR uses 3V or 5V and recorder uses 9V. So what I wud do is use two li-on batteries 4.2V each. This wud definitely last longer and will provide two different voltage for units. But this case is if u can build by looking at a schematic.

U have to get these parts if u want a diagram
The 9V might not last long as they have limited AH...even AAA batteries will last longer.

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
That's what I was worried about with the motion sensor. I've used them before and that does happen. I was thinking the vibration sensor would be better. I actually found this kit on bgmicro with a geophone that's already put together. The only thing I would have to do with this is swap out the LED lights with some kind of audio component (or add it along with the lights). All I need the audio to say is a single word when triggered so I don't need anything too fancy or care about audio quality. So I guess my main question now is does anyone know of any audio components I could use in place of the LED lights on the geophone kit? Here's a link to the kit I was looking at...

http://www.bgmicro.com/KIT1019.aspx

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
I want to make something, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about doing it is. What I was talking about before was the project with the motion sensor. The one in my last post would be the one with the vibration sensor. So I'm looking to make 2 variations of the same thing. Like I said, I'm a complete newbie to this stuff so I hope I'm making sense and not sounding too dumb haha.

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
I can buy whatever components I need. I actually already bought the geophone kit. It looked like something I could learn off of anyway. I think the thing I'm most confused about is finding exactly the right components that would work right together. I know that motion sensor module is good, but I still need to find a decent audio component (the one I originally posted is triggered by a built in button).

I'm in the process of learning how to solder and have a friend who knows how, so I'll have some help with that part.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If u want to make something then get all the components.
Show me the geophone kit

If I get u started will u buy the relevant components and finish the project

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Yeah I'm really eager to get this thing made. If you can help me get started I'd really appreciate it. I'm still waiting for the geophone kit to come in the mail, but it should be here soon. I'll take pictures when I get it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK then.... get the PIR or Vibration sensor, which ever u want.

Is it possible for u to get Li-on batteries. If no, try to get ur hands on a broken lap top battery. From this u can get atleast 2 good cells. I am sure of this.

Tell me if u want to use batteries or wall warts.

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
I know Radioshack has li-on batteries. I can pick some up there along with the PIR sensor. What kind of voltage should I be looking at for the batteries?

And yeah, I'd prefer batteries over wall warts to make it nice and portable.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The motion detector detects motion from the IR heat produced by a human's or large animal's moving body. It won't detect something moving unless it is warm or it moves over (blocks the radiated heat) and away from something warm.

The recording module has no schematic nor details so we don't know how to activate its "playback" button then stop the playback.

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
The motion detector detects motion from the IR heat produced by a human's or large animal's moving body. It won't detect something moving unless it is warm or it moves over (blocks the radiated heat) and away from something warm.

The recording module has no schematic nor details so we don't know how to activate its "playback" button then stop the playback.
Ok thanks, that's basically what I want the device to do anyway as far as the PIR. Just a simple wave of someone's hand over it to set it off.

I've been looking around now for a sound and vibration module and think I might have found both. The links are below and the sound module page even has a pretty in-depth data sheet to go along with it.

http://www.emartee.com/product/41928/MP3-SD-Card-Sound-Module

http://www.emartee.com/product/41946/Arduino-Digital-Vibration-Sensor

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Otaku

Joined Nov 19, 2008
I have a circuit that can use the R-S PIR sensor (the Parallax one) that runs off of a 9 volt battery. It all fits on one of the dual mini-boards from R-S. The PIR will send multiple pulses to the sound recorder circuit, but it'll ignore them after playback has started. The circuit can be used to trigger the 20 sec. recorder module and all parts are available at R-S. If you're interested, PM me with an email address and I can send you the how-to on Monday.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have a circuit that can use the R-S PIR sensor (the Parallax one) that runs off of a 9 volt battery. It all fits on one of the dual mini-boards from R-S. The PIR will send multiple pulses to the sound recorder circuit, but it'll ignore them after playback has started. The circuit can be used to trigger the 20 sec. recorder module and all parts are available at R-S. If you're interested, PM me with an email address and I can send you the how-to on Monday.
You know, it would be much more helpful to post the design you have. That way anyone else that may want to build the same project can see it here instead of having to email you.

please keep it public for the good of future searchers. ;)

Otaku

Joined Nov 19, 2008
One other tip - R-S may have an item in stock called a "Talking Pumpkin Insert", item #6300282. They sell them in the off-season for way cheap, as little as $1. It somes with a PIR sensor that is very similar to the Parallax unit, and you get a bunch of LEDs in the deal, too. I've used several of these sensors in making trigger boards for sound effects and they're very reliable and consistent. BTW, if you need to narrow the field of your sensor, just attach a 1" I.D. X 3" plastic tube to the sensor so that it blocks the sides of the dome. The PIR won't "see" you unless you pass directly in front of the tube. Works great.
Here's a thread on a Halloween forum that shows the circuit I designed for use with this sensor:
http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=22839

Rob1132

Joined Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for all the tips again. I'll hopefully be able to order some parts and attempt to put this thing together soon.