Help with Reformatting, BIOS and Linux

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi chaps,

I've been given an old computer (HP Pavilion) which runs Windows 98.

However, I want to install Codewarrior, but it needs versions 2000 or higher - and I ain't paying for that!:D

I've decided to give Linux a try, and I 'm starting off with Ubuntu.

However, before I reformat the hard drive I've got a question.

I'm guessing I need to format in BIOS, but after I reformat, won't the CD driver be lost?

If so, will I have to re install the driver software before Linux? Is there somewhere I could find it, as I don't have it.

I've downloaded Ubuntu and put it on a CD R, but there is no place for USB or anything else. I presume there is no other way to install it other than CD, but if I have no driver then it won't work at all. :(

I eagerly await your advice, :)

Sparky

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
When the computer start, a quick moment, it should display a message on how to get into BIOS. I'll guess it's the DEL - key. Inside BIOS, navigate to the BOOT options, or boot sequence or something like that. If it can boot from CD-rom, it should be listed there.

Or it could be the F2-key

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Would that Jolicloud work with Codewarrior?

Also, this computer doesn't have internet access. Would it still work?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
If it's based on Ubuntu, I think you'll have a choice during setup. To install it side-by-side with Windows. Just like a Dual Boot. But you need to have free diskspace...

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Well, i just checked the BIOS.

In the boot selection menu, it had a ALTAPI CDROM option (something like that), but i couldn't open it like the hard drive option, and I couldn't add a + or - liek I could to the hard drive.

What does this mean?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Have you tried to boot from the CD?

If you insert the cd, and reboot, try hitting the F12 key. A boot menu might appear, and you can choose your boot device.