Help with pulse "delay"

kurtruk

Joined Aug 26, 2012
So I built this circuit on the breadboard and it worked. I then removed the connection to ground and it still worked. I even removed the capacitor and resistor and it still worked.

What I am trying to do is lengthen the pulse by a ms or so.

My questions are:
1st is my circuit to delay/lengthen the signal right?
2nd Is it working even without the capacitor and resistor because of the stray capacitance of the wires and breadboard?
3rd Is the connection to ground necessary?
Do I even need this because the output has to go through a OR gate which will delay it some?

Attachments

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
So I built this circuit on the breadboard and it worked. I then removed the connection to ground and it still worked. I even removed the capacitor and resistor and it still worked.

What I am trying to do is lengthen the pulse by a ms or so.

My questions are:
1st is my circuit to delay/lengthen the signal right?
2nd Is it working even without the capacitor and resistor because of the stray capacitance of the wires and breadboard?
3rd Is the connection to ground necessary?
Do I even need this because the output has to go through a OR gate which will delay it some?
Show us some more of the circuit, including where the input comes from and where the outout goes.

kurtruk

Joined Aug 26, 2012
1) No.
2) No.
3) No/Yes

Your circuit is not correct, not as a ms pulse stretcher.
Could you elaborate more? I thought that when the input is high the cap will charge then when the input is low it will discharge. Do I even need to delay it because of the processing time of the OR gate.

In response to Ron, it is part of a timer circuit that after it reaches a certain point it resets back to 1.

Note the reset is detected on the rising edge while the counter detects on the falling edge, so is any of this even necessary???

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
In response to Ron, it is part of a timer circuit that after it reaches a certain point it resets back to 1.
I asked you to:
Show us some more of the circuit, including where the input comes from and where the output goes.
I'm sorry, but your answer does not do that. If you want help, you need to post a schematic. If you don't know how to do that, ask.

kurtruk

Joined Aug 26, 2012
Purpose: to count from 1-12 (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5...)

Both I have built on a breadboard and both work. I just need to make sure that the better/simpler one will work on a pcb.

Idea one:At 13 the ANDs go high causing the counters to reset and the capacitor to charge. The ANDs then go low and the capacitor discharges causing the counter to advance to one.

Idea two: The proccesing time of the OR gate is enough to cause the pulse to advance to one to be after the reset is high.

So which one is better? I have very little faith that my capacitor-resistor setup is right.

any help at all is greatly appreciated as I attempt to teach myself electronics.:)

p.s. my version of Eagle is 6.3.0

Attachments