Help with Programming Module for ICD2.5

viva_unix

Joined Apr 24, 2010
Hello!
I am software developer and trying to pickup hobby in EET. :)
I got ICD2.5 from eBay and exploring the MPLab now. I wrote a simple application and want to try it out on PIC microcontroller. The problem appear when I started to connect the chip with Debugger/Programmer module via "Programming module"
Can someone explain me how to connect it and why? I do have specification manual for my PIC microcontroller. I just do not want to burn anything yet...
Thank you!

P.S. Please see attached pictures.

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
HI
I do not know that unit. But if you get no help can you post a link to where I can find information on that unit.
I think you manually have to route the red cables to the corresponding pin on the chip. That will depend on which PIC you use(refer to table 1-1 in the 30f4011 data sheet). The PIC has to be compatible with your programmer

viva_unix

Joined Apr 24, 2010
HI
I do not know that unit. But if you get no help can you post a link to where I can find information on that unit.
I think you manually have to route the red cables to the corresponding pin on the chip. That will depend on which PIC you use(refer to table 1-1 in the 30f4011 data sheet). The PIC has to be compatible with your programmer
This is exactly what I need! I just do not know how to connect them. I looked at manual and there are several Vcc on this PIC microcontroller.

This is a simple question. I am very new in this and just confused... :( I got a book and it just show how to write a simple application and does not show how to set everything up.

PIC is compatible, at least it was written in the listing when I bought it. MPLab recognized it and I get led blinking when I start debugging (failes since nothing is attached).

I also have 3 cables to connect the "Programming Module" and the debugger/programmer. Do you know which one I should use?

Thank you!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
from that I can see(table 1-1), and this may be wrong;) but anyway I do not think trying this will burn your chip.
VDD=VDD (this side is on the PIC)
VPP=MCLR
DAT=PGD
CLK=PGC
GND=VSS

viva_unix

Joined Apr 24, 2010
from that I can see(table 1-1), and this may be wrong;) but anyway I do not think trying this will burn your chip.
VPP=MCLR
DAT=PGD
CLK=PGC
GND=VSS
Thank you! I will try today when I get home. I am just too confused with all this abbreviations and the information that I am learning.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Have the fire-extinguisher prepared and in stand by, and play "Smoke on the water" on your stereo ;)
Just kidding good luck

viva_unix

Joined Apr 24, 2010
VPP=MCLR
DAT=PGD
CLK=PGC
GND=VSS
Could you explain a little more about Vdd? I am not able to pass self test... :(

I have not connected both VCC and LOW to the chip. What should I do with them? I know this is a positive supply voltage. To which Vdd should I connect it?

Thank you!

Attachments