Help with Programming/Circuit questions

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
Hello everyone im new to the forum here.
I have alot of questions but i wont ask them all at once, because this post would take way to long to type.

I am not even sure exactly where this should be posted, this seems like the appropriate category so here it is.

I am working with a friend, to making a Handheld controller, control a small electronic engine. I have some basic programming skills but this project isnt rushed so i can take my time to learn what i need to.

Basically i want to make the rudimentary circuits myself. I know logic pretty well, but ive never really implemented it. I know this is vague description of the project, but thats why im here. Im not entirely sure where to start. Could someone point me to a book or a website to help me out!

Thanks to all replies!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To start with do you intend R.C. or wired to Controller?
Do you want to keep to simple logic or get into Micro controller?
Decide the way to go and search for the relevant areas for typical circuits etc.
Any specific question then could be answered here possibly?
A bit more info on the actual application would help!
Max.

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
thanks for the reply max, I basically want to take the easiest path there is, but while still doing a decent amount of learning. I guess a specific question to ask would be that assuming that wired controller and simple logic would be the easiest path, what would be my first step to getting that done? Basically the engine is going to be a regular household fan. or some type of electric engine where i can spin a fan.

Again thanks for the reply!

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
i should give more information on the actual project. basically me and a friend created a 20 ft ducttape boat haha. and i want to add an engine to power it. (hence the fans) so the whole electrical portion of the project would need to be low power since we are going to be using a battery.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Step 1.
In order to place the propeller into the water without getting water into your electric motor, you need to make the shaft longer. Possibly a lot longer.
Example of what I am talking about:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/diy-marinizing/29666d1235688589-thai-longtail-mudmotor-6hp-lifan-honda-a1alongtail-016.jpg
The reason the shaft is so long is because you want the propeller to push you horizontally. If the shaft is short, then most of the force is directed down instead of horizontally.

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
where is red green! are they a person on this forum or are you pointing me away? the boat is basically already done, but i want to add some engineering into the picture. Im an engineering student at a college and i want to learn!
Thanks for the help thus far tho.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

Art

Joined Sep 10, 2007
There is another show (American I think) Mythbusters,
they moulded a rather large boat out of newspaper that
worked for a surprisingly long time in the water.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Is this going to be a propeller driven boat ( the fan blades are in the water) or an air boat (the fans create a back wind that pushes the boat forward. See Everglades Boats)?

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
@ DJ fantasi, im leaning towards propeller, but i was also thinking of an unorthodox approach.. like a fan blowing into a sail.. since it would only be able to float on a river, there wouldnt be much wind

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Search for "driving boat with fan into sail" and you will get a lot of physics links that say it won't work. For the same reason that you can't run a generator from a motor and use the generated power to run the motor.

But in reality, it may work - just very inefficiently. Why? Because the sail reflects the wind back and provides a force to drive the boat forward. But if that is what happens (and it is), what do you think would be a more efficient way of driving the boat forward? One that doesn't lose energy in the sail and reflecting around?

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
your very smart.. im just a 18 year old who thought it might be a good idea lol. so between the two. Airboat style engine or submerged? which would be more efficient.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Which would be more efficient? That is a good question. But not the only one.

Efficiency versus practicality is the next question I had in mind. But it may not be your next question. There are issues of mounting the propeller/fan. How will it be submerged? What modifications will be necessary for your duct tape boat? Will the motor be mounted inside or out? If you chose inside, how will you drive the propeller through the hull without it leaking?

These are questions only you can think up and answer. I don't know the answer to your original question.

Jfisher387

Joined Oct 9, 2013
your like a buddha or something! ha well thanks. i guess i am asking to much instead of finding stuff out on my own. Thank you all very much for the help. im going to hit the drawing board. i'll return in a few days!

Again thank you veryone for the help!

basex

Joined Oct 22, 2013
greetings for the day, guys!
Iam new to embedded programming. And am stuck with an application wherein the change in LED display based numbers (0-9) is required with respect to the gradual increment of the resistor pot (varying the voltage). That is, the change in voltage control(pot) should be echoed to a seven segment display (0,1,2…3…till 9). My questions are
1) Which is the best 8-bit MCU in the market most efficient for my requirement?
2) How should I equally divide or distribute d resistor pot levels for writing the program logic in C

---thanks a load¬¬¬¬¬__

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
greetings for the day, guys!
Iam new to embedded programming. And am stuck with an application wherein the change in LED display based numbers (0-9) is required with respect to the gradual increment of the resistor pot (varying the voltage). That is, the change in voltage control(pot) should be echoed to a seven segment display (0,1,2…3…till 9). My questions are
1) Which is the best 8-bit MCU in the market most efficient for my requirement?
2) How should I equally divide or distribute d resistor pot levels for writing the program logic in C

---thanks a load¬¬¬¬¬__
Why dont you just start a new thread with a new heading. I wouldn't have noticed your posting if I was not reading the old threads. Just click "New Thread" on the top left corner and you'll be in business.

Your problem was not similar to the OP of this thread. So starting a new would get more attentions from members here. Best of luck...:D

Allen