HELP with Power Window :/

glenn_pangfb@yahoo.com

Joined Feb 3, 2012
I got a 12v power window controlled by a relay. i want to vary its speed but i failed when i used a potentiometer and it then SPARK! wooo... why does this happen.. please help to control the speed of a power window.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hee hee hee..Power window motor draws more current than ur every day motor.

Still a pot with a tiny motor will give u smoke.

U have to PWM drive that motor and it won't be cheap. cause 'em window motors are pretty hefty

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hee, hee. You'd better say NO otherwise you know what will happen.
Was trying to avoid the hint. He could just say no anyway and get all the help he needed, even if it was still in the car. Unless the mods are feeling particularly daring, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked.

Glenn, automotive discussions are strictly forbidden here at AAC, due to various safety and liability issues. We highly recommend you avoid any projects that change anything in a car because it could have unwanted side-effects that could lead to dangerous situations. If you choose to go ahead with it, I'm afraid we can't help you. We do not want to participate in a project that could endanger your life. I hope you understand.

Regards,
Der Strom

glenn_pangfb@yahoo.com

Joined Feb 3, 2012
i posted it here because i used pic16877a to control it with l293d as the driver-. it is used as a wheel of my project, but when i apply the 12Vdc the resistor actually spark, i joked myself "does potentio really light up" XDD:eek::eek:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
i posted it here because i used pic16877a to control it with l293d as the driver-. it is used as a wheel of my project, but when i apply the 12Vdc the resistor actually spark, i joked myself "does potentio really light up" XDD:eek::eek:
It would help if you posted a schematic of what you already did. It sounds to me like you're putting too much current through the pot. That's a great way to fry it. We need to know what you've actually done before we can tell you what's wrong, or how to fix it.