Help with PIR Conflict

texaskersh

Joined Dec 30, 2011
Hi all, newbie here so Hi all and a happy new year.

This is probably a newbie question and i "think" I know the problem, but could do with some help on any possible solutions.

"The horse has gone" was the cry, but after next doot was robbed in the night, I have decided to put cameras and lights outside to record any of the toerags! I have put a PIR light up and this works fine, range and detection etc. DUring the day (and walk testing of the light) both the camera and the light work fine. During the night though, the light goes off, comes on etc., straight away. I have mounted the camera under the light so it can record in colour.

I am assuming that the camera IR is setting off the light PIR? (I know what an assumption can mean! :) so herein lies the issue. I am 99% certain that this is the issue as unplugging the camera does make the light work. Will I always have this isue or does anybody know of a way that the two can co-exist?

Thanks in advance for any help and again, happy new year to you all.

P ;-)

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The first thing to check is that the camera IR illumination is pointing away from the PIR - certainly not straight at it. The PIR lamps normally include a photocell to prevent operation during daylight, and if this "sees" the camera's illuminator you might expect the sort of result you describe.

Re-siting the camera (or its illuminator, if separate) or the PIR lamp may provide a solution: even changing the angles might help.

If that does not work, you might consider covering over the PIR lamp's photocell, if you can identify where it is. (Obviously, you must not cover the PIR sensor). With the photocell covered, of course the lamp may light wastefully during the day. If it is mains powered, you might then think about running it from a time switch so that it is only powered at night.

texaskersh

Joined Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. :) I am going to try and start by using a timer switch with the light (so as not to waste electric during the day) and as you suggest, cover the photocell for night.

Seems the hard way round to start but typical mistake, (but I will learn) is that I put all the conduit and wiring in for the light and camera through the walls to site them both and to move either now would be a last resort! :-~

Thanks again for a quick and helpful reply.

P ;-)